OH-FOOTSTEPS-L ArchivesArchiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0939871167
From: Gina Reasoner <>
Subject: GEORGE U. MARVIN - SUMMIT COUNTY
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:19:27 -0400
HISTORY OF OHIO
The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925
Volume III, page 87
GEORGE U. MARVIN for many years was a prominent newspaper man in Ohio, and
from that profession was recruited for the responsible administrative
duties of the state government at Columbus, where he is chief of the Ohio
Division of Markets, State Department of Agriculture.
His father is the distinguished Judge U.L. Marvin, one of the oldest
active members of the Ohio bar and one of the few lawyers who took their
first cases prior to the Civil war. Judge Marvin was born in Stow Township,
Summit County, Ohio, March 14, 1839. He is now eighty-five, and gives most
of his time to his duties as professor of law in Kenyon College at Gambier.
He was graduated from Bissell's Academy in Twinsburg Township, Summit
County, a famous preparatory school of that day. He studied law at Kent,
Ohio, was admitted to the bar and began practice there in partnership with
D.L. Rockwell, whose daughter, Miss Dorena Rockwell, he married. Mr.
Rockwell's father served as a member of the Ohio Legislature. While
practicing law Judge Marvin also acted as superintendent of schools at Kent
before the Civil war.
When the war came on he enlisted at Massillon in the One Hundred and
Fifteenth Volunteer Infantry. With that regiment he went to Cincinnati, and
subsequently was made first lieutenant in the Fifth Ohio, a regiment of
colored troops. later he was promoted to captain, and served with that
command until the close of the war. He was wounded at Newmarket Heights,
Virginia. After the close of hostilities in 1865 he was stationed at
Raleigh, North Carolina, as judge advocate general, and was brevetted as
major for gallant and meritorious service.
He returned to his native state in the latter part of 1865 and resumed law
practice at Kent, later at Canton, and in 1867 removed to Akron. He was in
the general practice there until 1869, when he was elected judge of the
Probate Court, serving two terms. He then resumed his private practice. In
1882 he was appointed judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Summit County,
by Gov. Charles Foster, to fill the unexpired term of Judge N.D. Tibbals.
In 1892 Gov. William McKinley appointed him to what was then known as the
Circuit Court, now the Court of Appeals, for the Eighth Judicial Circuit,
comprising four counties in Northeastern Ohio. This appointment was made to
fill the unexpired term of Judge Baldwin. He was elected to succeed
himself, and by successive elections continued the important duties of
judge of the Court of Appeals for twenty-three years. During his last year
he was chief justice of the court. That long and capable service gives him
rank as one of the ablest jurists of Ohio.
Judge Marvin's wife died in 1898, and soon afterward he removed to
Cleveland. After retiring from the Appellate bench he engaged in law
practice in that city with his son, the late Frank R. Marvin, who was a
graduate of Williams College. Judge Marvin was elected to the chair of law
in Lincoln Memorial University at Harrowgate, Tennessee, and served in that
capacity until 1921. In the latter year he was chosen professor of law in
Kenyon College at Gambier, and in spite of his advanced age is engaged in
general practice in that town as well at attending to his law
professorship. Judge Marvin's second wife was Miss Carrie Ensign, of Cleveland.
Judge Marvin had five sons: Frank R. Marvin; David L., who was educated in
Kenyon College, became a lawyer at Akron, and at one time was engineer of
the state board of public works; Richard, who died in infancy; Charles A.,
who was educated in Oberlin College and became a newspaper man; and George
U., who is the only survivor of these five sons.
George U. Marvin was born at Kent, Ohio, in 1866. He was educated in
Kenyon College and Oberlin College, and soon after completing his education
took up newspaper work. His first experience was as correspondent at Canton
for the Cleveland Press. Later he became a reporter with the Akron Beacon
and Akron Journal, and then he joined the staff of the Cleveland Leader.
For fourteen years he was political writer and correspondent for this paper
at Columbus and Washington, and part of the time while he was stationed at
Washington he acted as correspondent for the Toledo Blade. Mr. Marvin at
one time was associate editor of the Warren Chronicle, and was editor of
the Newton Falls Herald. He was at Newton Falls when, in September 1921, he
was called to his present office as chief of the division of markets at
Columbus. His administration of this important office has been one of
highest efficiency and has made the division one of indispensable service
to the agricultural interests of Ohio.
Mr. Marvin is a member of the National Association of Marketing Officials
and chairman of its transportation committee. He is a pledged member of the
Kenyon College Chapter Psi Upsilon, belongs to the Agricultural Forum and
the Sons of Veterans. He married Miss Jessie O'Brien, of Akron. She was
formerly a teacher in the public schools of that city.
|GEORGE U. MARVIN - SUMMIT COUNTY by Gina Reasoner <>|