OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940331880


From: MARGARET A KAROL <>
Subject: BIOGRAPHIES
Date: 19 Oct 1999 11:18 GMT


<RRQ: >
REASON WOOD - PERRY COUNTY
W. F. REASONER - MUSKINGUM COUNTY
JACOB M. REASONER - MUSKINGUM COUNTY
LUCINDA GALISPIE (Gillespie?) MILES - FAIRFIELD COUNTY
MRS & MRS ALFRED MILES - 5oth WEDDING ANNIVERSARY - FROM THE HARTFORD CITY, IN
TELEGRAM
CRUMMEL/HAYES MARRIAGE ANNOUNCEMENT - FROM THE HARTFORD CITY, IN TELEGRAM
**********
BIOGRAPHICAL MEMOIRS OF BLACKFORD COUNTY, IND.; EDITED BY BENJAMIN G. SHINN;
THE BOWEN PUBLISHING COMPANY. CHICAGO, 1900. (Pages 238 - 241)
JOHN GOODIN WOOD
John G. Wood, a prominent business man of Hartford City and ex-treasurer of
Blackford county, is descended paternally from an old Pennsylvania family and on
the mother's side from one of the pioneers of Perry county, Ohio. His father,
Reason Wood, moved in an early day from Monongahela county, Pennsylvania, to
Morrow county, Ohio, where he met and married Jane Goodin, and later located in
the town of Woodbury, where he worked at the blacksmith trade until his removal,
in 1853, to Blackford county, Indiana. For some years after coming to this state
he followed his trade, but subsequently exchanged it for agricultural pursuits,
taking charge of a small farm in Harrison township which came into his
possession prior to his removal to Blackford county. He made his home on this
place until 1882, when he disposed of his real estate and moved to Saline
county, Nebraska, where he remained until the death of his wife, after which he
returned to this county and purchased a farm a short distance west of
Montpelier, in the township of Harrison, where his death occurred on the 25th
day of July, 1896. By his first marriage, noted above, Reason Wood became the
father of the following children: Sarah E., wife of John Hart, of Harrison
township; Mary M., deceased; Maude J., deceased; Lucinda, wife of George W.
Woolford, of Saline county, Nebraska; John G., whose name appears at the
beginning of this article and Asa Smith, deceased. Mr. Wood was married a second
time at Montpelier, but to this union there was no issue.
Much might be written of Reason Wood as a man and citizen. He belonged to that
large and industrious class that do much in a quiet way to advance the material
interests of the country and by lives directed and controlled by the principles
of moral rectitude give character and tone to the community. Intelligent beyond
the majority, he was a great reader, fully informed on all the leading questions
of the day, and he wielded a potent influence for the Republican party in his
township. In religious belief he was a Baptist, to which denomination he was
unswerving on his loyalty during the greater part of his life and in the faith
of which he passed from the church militant to the church triumphant.
John Goodin Wood was born April 1, 1842, in Morrow county, Ohio, and there he
passed the first years of his life. In 1853 he was brought by his parents to
Blackford county, Indiana, from which date until his twentieth year he remained
on the home farm in Harrison township, attending meanwhile the common schools
and obtaining a practical knowledge of the branches taught therein. In the
spring of 1863 he responded to the country's call for volunteers by joining
Company H, One Hundred and Eighteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Captain
W. G. Lett, with which he served a little less than one year, being mustered out
at Indianapolis at the expiration of his period of enlistment. Returning home,
he farmed for his father until 1865, on October 13th, of which year, he was
united in marriage to Miss Jane Bugh, daughter of Barnhardt and Hannah J.
(Coddington) Bugh, and immediately thereafter engaged in agriculture pursuits
for himself on the home place in Harrison township. After three years thus spent
Mr. Wood purchased a place of his own in the township of Washington, consisting
of one hundred and twenty acres of fertile land, which under his successful
management became one of the best farms in that part of the county. He made this
place his home for a period of ten years, when he removed to the old home farm
which in the meantime he had purchased and which is still in his possession. Mr.
Wood's success as a farmer more than met his expectations and during the period
of his residence in the country he enjoyed the reputation of being one of the
most thorough and progressive agriculturists of the county. In 1894 he was
elected to the office of treasurer of Blackford county attend the better to
attend the duties incident thereto he rented his farm and removed to Hartford
City where he has since continued to reside. After acting as custodian of the
county funds two years and discharging his official functions faithfully and
efficiently, Mr. Wood, at the expiration of his term, retired from the office
and in partnership with W. H. Cox engaged in the grocery business. Within one
month he purchased his partner's interest and since this time has been sole
proprietor of one of the largest and best appointed grocery houses in the city.
As a business man Mr. Wood easily ranks with the first of Hartford City and his
influence on the commercial interests of the place has been such as to bring him
into prominent notice, not only to the people of the county, among whom he is
widely and favorably known, but also to wholesale dealers in his line in large
business cities of the country. By carefully studying the wishes of the public
and courteously catering thereto, he has succeeded in building up a very
extensive trade. In addition to this he also gives personnel attention to his
large farming interests in Blackford and other counties, owning a beautiful
place of one hundred and sixty acres in Harrison township, two hundred and forty
acres in the township of Washington, upon which are six producing oil wells, and
other valuable property in city and country, all of which came to him as the
result of his careful business forethought and successful operations as a
financier.
Transcriber's note: George W. Woolford may be George Alexander Wilford
********************

Transcribed from: BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL RECORD OF JAY AND BLACKFORD
COUNTIES, INDIANA; THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY, 118 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO,
1887. (PGs. 832-833)

W. F. REASONER, farmer, section 31, Licking Township, is one of the prominent
men in the history of Blackford County, with which he has been identified from
the beginning of the white settlement until the present time. He was born in
Muskingum County, Ohio, July 27, 1830, son of Peter and Rhoda (Fry) Reasoner,
his father born in Pennsylvania, and the mother a native of Virginia. They were
married in Ohio, and in the fall of 1832, with their family then consisting of
two children, Levina and Washington, set out by team for Indiana, and after a
long and tedious journey, much of the way through unbroken forests, they arrived
at their destination, section 6, Licking Township, Blackford County. After
making a temporary shelter for his family the father cleared a space on his land
and with the logs he cut down he built a log cabin, to which they removed as
soon as it was finished. He was a successful hunter and game being in abundance
he found ample opportunity for indulging in the sport. He was a fine marksman
and killed numbers of wild deer, turkeys and other game. Corn dodgers and dried
venison was the principle food of the family in the early days of the county;
wheat-cake and coffee were luxuries of later date. Peter Reasoner lived on the
farm he first settled on coming to the county for forty-six years, dying on the
old homestead in October 1868. Both he and his wife were consistent Christians
and active members of the Presbyterian church at Elizabethtown, and he was a
chorister in that congregation. They reared a family of eight children - Levina
S., Washington F., our subject; Mary E.. Noah H., Calista Ann; John B., Almira
C., and Jacob Madison. W. F. Reasoner, whose name heads this sketch, was reared
amid the scenes attending the clearing up a forest, and on arriving at an age
suitable for heavy work he ax was swung in unison with his father's in the work
of clearing the timber off their farm. His educational advantages were limited
to the rude log cabin schools of the early day. He was united in marriage
October 15, 1850, to Miss Rachel Slater, who was born in Guernsey County, Ohio,
June 20, 1829, coming to Blackford County with her parents, Jacob and Sarah
(Alban) Slater about 1836. Her father died here in September, 1839, and her
mother in July, 1840. Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Reasoner two
are deceased - Mary K. and Harriet Samantha. Those yet living are - Ethan
Thomas, a successful attorney, residing in Peru, Indiana, elected prosecuting
attorney for Miami and Wabash counties, Indiana; Osmar I., a practicing
physician at Shilder, Indiana; Rhoda Ann, wife of Lewis D. McVicker, Riley R.,
Allie Maria and Orvelle Madison. After his marriage Mr. Reasoner bought eighty
acres of land in Harrison Township, and after living on it a short time sold it.
In 1860 he removed with his family to their present farm, which he has improved
in a good manner, having a fine residence, surrounded with handsome shade and
ornamental trees, and substantial farm buildings, and a good bearing orchard
adds much to its value and attractiveness. Politically, Mr. Reasoner is a
Republican. He was a member of the Presbyterian church for thirty years, but in
1887 he united with the Methodist church in his neighborhood. He has been a
resident for fifty-five years and has witnessed the many wonderful changes which
have taken place during that period, and by his honorable and upright character
he has gained the respect and confidence of all who know him.
***************
Transcribed from: BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL RECORD OF JAY AND BLACKFORD
COUNTIES, INDIANA; THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY, 118 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO,
1887. (PGs. 883-884)

JACOB M. REASONER, is one of the successful agriculturists of Jackson Township,
engaged in farming on sections 3 and 4, where he has 200 acres of well improved
land. He is a native of Blackford County, Indiana, born in Licking Township,
December 2, 1847, a son of Peter and Rhoda (Frye) Reasoner, the father born in
Washington County, Pennsylvania, May 9,1798, and the mother born in Harrison
County, Virginia, February 16, 1809. The father was reared to manhood in
Muskingum County, Ohio, where he was married, and the mother was reared in
Guernsey County, Ohio. They were the parents of eleven children - Sebur,
Washington F., Mary, Noah H., Calista A., Joseph (died in early childhood),
Evelyn (also died young), Harriet (died aged eighteen years), John B. and Almira
C. (twins) and Jacob M. our subject, who was the youngest child. The father
remained in Muskingum County until December 1831, when he came with his wife and
two children to Blackford County, Indiana, settling in Licking Township and
while he was building his cabin his family lived in Grant County with the family
of John Grimes, and for about six weeks the Grimes cabin contained about
nineteen persons. Mr. Reasoner moved his family to his cabin about the end of
December, 1831. He made the first clearing and was the first to engage in
farming in Blackford County. The following spring he cleared enough land to
raise corn and potatoes to support his family and their meat consisted of wild
game or venison. Benjamin Reasoner, the grandfather of our subject, was an early
settler of Ohio, and came to Blackford County with his son Peter in 1831, where
he lived until his death. The grandmother Mary (Hill) Reasoner, died in Grant
County. The Reasoners are of German descent, coming to America at the time of
persecution of the Huguenots. The father of our subject died October 22, 1868.
The mother is still living in Licking Township, and is the oldest living settler
in the county. She relates many reminiscences of pioneer life, of which we may
mention the following: Sometime after coming to the county a large Indian opened
the door of their cabin and gave a grunt. They could not understand what he
wanted, but he noticed a whetstone on the mantel, which he took up and commenced
sharpening his scalping knife. The mother became greatly frightened, and taking
her two children ran to the house of her father-in-law, who lived about a half
mile distant. Jacob M. Reasoner, whose name heads this sketch, was married
October 26, 1875 to Miss Emma Willman, who was born in Hartford City, Indiana,
January 29, 1854, where she was reared and married. She is a daughter of John P.
and Nancy (Kirkpatrick) Willman, and a grand-daughter of Lewis and Chirstina
(Keller) Willman, who were born in Germany, her grandmother dying a few years
after coming to Blackford County. Her grandfather died in Blackford County,
February 16, 1876. Her father was born November 27, 1830, in Hesse Darmstadt,
Germany, coming to America with his parents when two years old, they settling in
Pennsylvania. He was brought to Indiana in his boyhood, where he was reared and
married, May 3, 1853 to Miss Nancy Kirkpatrick. To them were born four children
- Emma, wife of Mr. Reasoner; Catherine, wife of George Brown, of Leipsic, Ohio;
Minnie M., wife of Arthur Lyle of Hartford City, and Rolla, at home. Mr. and
Mrs. Reasoner are the parents of five children - Ralph B., born July 19, 1876;
Ethel, born July 11, 1881; Shirley W., born March 20, 1883; and an infant yet
unnamed, born May 11, 1887.
*********************

BLACKFORD AND GRANT COUNTIES, INDIANA; Complied Under the Editorial Supervision
of Benjamin G. Shinn; Vols. 1 & 2; THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY, 118 ADAMS
STREET, CHICAGO,
1914 Pages 148-150)
ALFRED MILES. Nearly three-quarters of a century have passed since Alfred Miles
came to Blackford county and settled on the farm home on which he now resides.
The oldest man in the county, he has watched its growth and development with the
eye of a proprietor, and his contributions to its welfare and advancement have
been of a nature to entitle him to a place among its most honored citizens.
Although now at the remarkable age of ninety-five years he retains his interest
in the affairs of the community in which he has lived so long and which he has
served so faithfully and well. Mr. Miles belongs to the distinguished Miles
family which produced that great military figure, Gen. Nelson A. Miles. He was
born in the state of New Jersey, April 7, 1819, and is a son of William and
Keturah (Casterline) Miles, the former born in Massachusetts in 1795 and the
latter in New Jersey in 1797. They were married in the latter state and in 1824
left Jersey for Steuben county, New York, where they made their home for a
period of ten years. In 1834 they came overland with teams in Indiana and first
located in Fayette county, but in February, 1841, moved to Washington township,
Blackford county and settled on virgin soil in section 32, where the father
purchased a tract of eighty acres of land. The parents of William Miles, Thomas
and Mary (Underwood) Miles came on from their New York state home, joined their
son in Indiana, and there passed away in advanced years. During the
Revolutionary War Thomas Miles enlisted for service in the American army,
following the Bunker Hill battle. He is reported to have never been hurt or
captured, the greater part of his service being confined to duty as a home
guard. He and his wife were laid to rest in the Miles Cemetery in Washington
township, a plot laid out by later members of the family on their farm.

William Miles continued to be engaged in farming throughout the remainder of his
life in Washington township, but died in January 1875, aged about eighty years,
at Rockford, Illinois. He was a Jacksonian democrat, as had been his father.
Although not a member of any religious denomination, he was a believer in the
good accomplished by churches, and was a ready contributor to movements of a
worthy nature. Mrs. Miles, who died November 3, 1842, in Washington Township, at
the age of forty-five years, was a member of the Free Will Baptist church. Six
sons and four daughters were born to these worthy couple, of whom two sons and
one daughter were married. Alfred is the only survivor.
Alfred Miles was a child of five years when taken to New York by his parents,
and was fifteen years old when he made the long overland trip to Indiana. He was
twenty-two years old when he came to Blackford county, and from that time to the
present has been connected with its agricultural interests, a period of
seventy-three years. Mr. Miles is the owner of a farm of 145 acres, in section
32, and 80 acres of the old William Miles homestead is still owned by him.
Although he is ninety-five years of age, he still retains his faculties in a
remarkable degree, is active in body and alert in mind, and is able to
accomplish more than many men who are thirty years younger. His memory is
excellent, and he recalls readily the scenes and incidents of the early days
when neighbors were few and between, and the county, still in its infancy, gave
but little promise of the wonderful development which was to take place within
its borders. He has led a clean and industrious life and to this may be
attributed his good health and great age. Like his father, he has been a
lifelong democrat, but has not desired public office and has been content to do
his full duty as a citizen, without asking political favors of any kind. He is a
devout and God-fearing man, but has held to no particular creed, supporting all
churches and charitable organizations.
Mr. Miles was married in Grant county, Indiana, in 1845, to Miss Lucinda
Galispie, who was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, August 13, 1820. She was a
young lady of seventeen years, when she accompanied her parents to Grant county,
they being James and Mary (Peter) Galispie, who came to Grant county in 1837,
located on a new farm, which they improved and cultivated, and passed the
remaining years of their lives in Monroe township, the father passing away when
eighty-four years of age and the mother when several years younger. Mrs. Miles
passed away at her home in Washington township, May 22, 1906, when in her
eighty-sixth year. She had been a devoted wife and mother, and was able to
assist her husband materially in his efforts to gain success. Four children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Miles, namely: Jefferson and George, both of whom passed
away in youth; Junius, a successful farmer of Washington township, who makes his
home with his father, married Almira Townsend, and has had four children -
James, Carrie and Harry, who are married and have children, and Ella, who is
deceased; and Rebecca, who is the wife of Andrew J. Townsend, a farmer of Grant
County, has four daughters and four sons - Elmore, deceased, George N., Franklin
and Thomas, Lucy, Gertie and Polly, who are all married and Mary, who is single
and resides with her parents.
*************************
NEWSPAPER ABSTRACT FROM THE HARTFORD CITY TELEGRAM
MILES, Alfred - Golden Wedding. Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Miles at their residence
four miles N.W. of Hartford City, on Saturday. He was born in New Jersey, April
7, 1819. Mrs. Miles was a Gillespie, born in Ohio, August 13, 1820. Married July
13, 1845. Two children: Junees and a daughter, wife of A.J. Townsend (17 July
1895 p1 c4).





NEWSPAPER ABSTRACT FROM THE HARTFORD CITY TELEGRAM
CRIMMEL, Clyde - Invitations are out for the marriage of Clyde Crummel and Miss
Babe Hayes, at Tippin, Ohio, Feb. 1, 1898. (26 Jan. 1898 p7 c3).

This thread: