OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940367417


From: Gina Reasoner <>
Subject: CHARLES C. BENNER - SUMMIT COUNTY
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:10:17 -0400


History of Ohio
The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925
Volume III, page 362-363

CHARLES C. BENNER, a former judge of the Common Pleas Court in Summit
County, has with brief exceptions concentrated his time and talents upon
the practice of law in Akron for over thirty years, and is head of a law
firm ranking among the most successful in that city.
Judge Benner was born at Manchester, in Summit County, Ohio, March 7,
1890, son of Simon and Caroline (Slaybaugh) Benner. His grandfather, Henry
Benner, came from Pennsylvania to Summit County in 1825, conducted a
pioneer blacksmith shop, and also cleared and developed a farm. Simon
Benner was born in Summit County, January 17, 1846, and spent the greater
part of his life on a farm in Norton Township, where he died August 22,
1884. His wife, Caroline Slaybaugh, was born in Summit County, July 21,
1844, daughter of Jacob Slaybaugh, and she died January 7, 1890.
Charles C. Benner was fourteen when his father died. He attended district
schools while on the farm, was a pupil in the high schools at Norton and
Copley and studied law in Ohio Northern University and in the law offices
of Baird & Voris at Akron. He passed the law examinations and was admitted
to the bar in June, 1893, and subsequently was admitted to practice in the
Federal Court. He gave his time and attention to an individual general
practice until 1919, when he became senior member of the law firm of
Benner, Harter & Walker, and this is now the firm of Benner, Harter, Walker
& Watters.
His first public service was rendered as police prosecutor of Akron, from
1897 to 1901. He was safety director of Akron from 1910 to 1911, being the
first appointed to that office under the new code. He had previously served
as a member of the Akron Board of Safety. From 1912 to 1916 he was a member
of the Civil Service Commission, and from August, 1917 to January, 1919,
served as judge of the Common Pleas Court by appointment of Governor Cox.
He was twice elected a member of the Democratic State Central Committee.
Judge Benner is a director of the National City Bank of Akron and
Treasurer of the Eastland Company. He served as captain of Company B,
Eighth Regiment, Ohio National Guards, from 1893 to 1897. He is a member of
the Summit County, Ohio State and American Bar associations, belongs to the
Portage Country Club, the Akron City Club, and in Masonry is past eminent
commander of Akron Commandery of the Knights Templar, is a member of Lake
Erie Consistory of the Scottish Rite, and also belongs to the Knights of
Pythias and is past exalted ruler of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks. He has been a member of the Chamber of Commerce since its
organization. Judge Benner married, September 29, 1897, Miss Gertrude
Foster, of Akron, daughter of Martin B. and Sarah (Clark) Foster.

This thread: