OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940667612

From: "John E. Taylor, Jr." <>
Subject: HITT Obituaries - Williams County, OH
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:33:32 -0400

GARRET T. HITT
>From The Bryan Press, Oct. 31, 1889
HITT - At the residence of his son, James HITT, in Pulaski township, Oct.
26th, 1889, of paralysis, Garret T. HITT, in the 83rd year of his age. The
deceased was born in Culpepper county, VA. in 1807, and was married to Miss
Anzelana GLADSTONE in 1833. Thence he came to Seneca county, O., in 1838
(he came to Williams county, Ohio), where he resided continuously for
nearly 51 years. He endured the vicissitudes of pioneer life, and mourned
the loss of eight children, and the companion of his earthly pilgrimage,
with the latter of whom he walked in tenderness and affection for over 50
years. Father HITT was a loving husband and a kind father, and firmly
attached to his convictions, always preferring duty to favor. And at the
advanced age of 82 years, 8 months and 9 days "He laid down his rude staff
like one that is weary, and calmly reposes forever." - J. A. H.
J. A. HITT and family take this method of kindly thanking the friends who
so generously assisted at the preparation, funeral and burial of their dear
father.

>From The Bryan Democrat, October 31, 1889
Garrett T. HITT, one of the old citizens of this township, died Saturday
night at the residence of his son, Jas. A. HITT. He had been in feeble
health for some time but was not seriously ill until within a day of two of
his death. He was eighty-three years of age.
(NOTE: Garret T. HITT, wife, Anzelana, and son, William are buried in Old
Pulaski Cemetery, Williams County, Ohio.)
>From The Bryan Democrat, January 31, 1884
At her home in Pulaski, Ohio, January 26th., 1884, Mrs. Anzelana HITT, in
her 80th. year. Mrs. HITT was born in Fauquier county, Va., July 22nd.,
1804; was married to G. T. HITT March 9th., 1833; removed with her husband
to Seneca county, Ohio, in 1834, thence to Pulaski, Williams county, Ohio,
in 1838. She was a consistent member of the Baptist church and was loved
and respected by all her neighbors. She leaves a husband and two sons to
mourn the loss of a wife and mother.

ANZELANA (GLADSTONE) HITT
>From The Bryan Press, January 31, 1884
HITT-At her home in Pulaski village, on Saturday, January 26, 1884, in the
80th. year of her age. Mrs. HITT was born in Fauquier county, Virginia,
July 22, 1804, and was married to Garrett T. HITT, March 9, 1834, and
removed with him to Seneca county, this State, in 1834. They came to this
county and settled at Pulaski in 1838. She was a consistent member of the
Baptist church and was loved and respected by all her neighbors. She leaves
her husband and two sons to mourn the loss of a wife and mother.
(NOTE: Anzelana, husband, Garret, and son, William are buried in Old
Pulaski Cemetery, Williams County, Ohio.)

WILLIAM ARTHUR HITT
>From The Bryan Press?, January 1889
HITT - At the Williams county Infirmary, Jan. 2d., 1889, William Arthur
HITT, aged 52 years, 6 months and 13 days. The deceased was born in Seneca
county, O., June 19, 1836. From thence he moved to Williams county in 1837,
in which he has been a resident almost continuously for 51 years. He had a
kind and forgiving heart, and with his friends was generous to a fault. He
bore his sufferings for nine months without a murmur, and at last bowed to
the decree that took him to his eternal rest. The deceased leaves a wife
and son, an aged father and one brother behind to mourn this irreparable loss.
"Dearest brother, thou hast left us,
Here thy loss we deeply feel;
But 'tis God that has bereft us,
He can all our sorrows heal."
- J. A. H. (James A. HITT, brother)
(NOTE: William A. HITT and parents, Garret and Anzelana, are buried in Old
Pulaski Cemetery, Williams County, Ohio.)

GRACE ELLEN (MARSH) HITT
>From The Bryan Press, June 27, 1918
Called By Death During Past Week
It is with mingling of greatest joy with deepest sorrow that we bid the
last farewell to Mother. Nothing is a greater incentive to more perfect
living than to review the life of one to whom God has said, "Well done."
Grace Ellen MARSH HITT was born March 15, 1885 and passed away to her
reward June 18, 1918, aged 33 years, 3 months, 3 days. Early in life she
gave her heart to the Master, uniting with the First Brethren church at
Bryan. She was an ardent Sunday school worker and at the time of her
departure was the teacher of the Women's Bible Class at the New
Philadelphia Church of the Brethren, of which she became a member on May
22, 1913.
Her life was an example of beautiful christian living. She was a tender
companion to her family. Very few young people of her experience enjoyed
such a large circle of friends. She was never strong physically, but in
spite of that had a life's work enough for a strong man. She had faith that
God would supply needed strength. With her to know God's will was to do it.
On July 18, 1909 she was united in marriage to Owen D. HITT and to them God
entrusted the care of three children, Lengre G., Otis D., and Wesley A.,
who with the father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew MARSH, four sisters,
Katie Alta, Nellie Elizabeth, Bessie Belle, and Daisey Murriel, and five
brothers, Frank Melvin, Clyde Andrew, Charles Daniel, Wm. Wayne, and
Kenneth Dale, are left this side the vale to await the time when we can go
to meet her. One sister, Annie Pearl, preceded her to the Beyond, Sept. 17,
1884.
CARD OF THANKS
We desore to thank all friends who so kindly assisted us in our time of
sorrow and especially those who offered their machines, and Bro. G. W.
SELLERS and the Singers. - O. D. HITT and children.

John Wesley HITT
>From The Bryan Press July 14, 1948, page 1

John Wesley Hitt Dies, Rites Will Be Friday
John Wesley HITT, age 89, passed away at his home west of Bryan today. The
body was removed to the Oberlin-Ford Funeral Home where services will be
held Friday at 2:00pm., Rev. BLACK officiating, with interment at Shiffler
Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Rebecca Jane; seven sons, Ira,
Plymouth, Mich.; Owen, Michigan City, Indiana; Vern, Plymouth, Mich.;
Ernest, Bryan; Prather, Bryan; Clarence, Springfield, Ohio; Glen, Archbold;
one brother, Charles HITT, Bryan; thirty grandchildren and twenty-two
great-grandchildren.

>From The Bryan Press, July 28, 1948
John Wesley HITT, son of William Russell and Sarah RUTLEDGE HITT, was born
June 4, 1859 in Licking Co., Ohio, and passed away July 13, 1948 at his
home near Bryan, O., aged 89 years, 1 month, and 9 days. He spent his early
days near Thornville in Perry County, Ohio, and came to Bryan at the age of
21 years.
On February 28, 1884, he was married to Rebecca Jane DALLY and to this
union were born nine children, one daughter and eight sons. The daughter,
Sylvia, and son, Warren, preceded him in death. He was a member of the
First English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Bryan, Ohio.
Surviving him are his wife Rebecca, sons Ira and Vern of Plymouth,
Michigan, Owen of Michigan City, Indiana, Ernest and Prather of Bryan,
Clarence of Springfield, Ohio, and Glen of Archbold, Ohio, also 29
grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren and a host of other relatives and
friends.
Funeral services were held at the Oberlin-Ford Chapel, July 16, 1948, at 2
o'clock with Rev. E. J. BLACK officiating. Burial in Shiffler cemetery.

MRS. THIRCA HITT
from The Bryan Press, Sept. 18, 1941, page 4

Mrs. Thirca HITT, 50, died at her home at 761 S. Harvey street Plymouth,
Mich., Thursday, Sept. 4, following an illness of over a year. She suffered
a stroke a week before her death. Mrs. HITT was born near Evansport and
with her family had resided in Plymouth for fifteen years. Surviving
besides her husband, Vern HITT, are the family, Mrs. Cordena FLANAGAN, Miss
Irisdene, two sons, Vernell and Robert, two brothers, Wallace PARNHAM,
Bryan and George of Jefferson township and four sisters, Mrs. Hazel
PRIDGEON of Ft. Wayne, Mrs. Mattie CALVIN and Mrs. Alcie AMES, Hicksville,
Mrs. Gertrude STONER near Pulaski. Funeral services were held at Plymouth
Sunday. Other relatives besides those named and their families attending
the funeral, were Ernest HITT, Lenore HITT, Alberta PARNHAM, Mr. and Mrs.
Leland WINZELER and family and Denver STONER.

This thread: