OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940703942

From: "John E. Taylor, Jr." <>
Subject: DALLY / HARDING Obits. - Williams Co., OH
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 14:39:02 -0400

CLEVE DALLY
from The Bryan Press, March 1, 1945, page 11
Services were held Tuesday at Fremont, Ind., for Cleve DALLY, 85, who died
at home there Saturday. The family lived two miles north of Bryan for many
years. He leaves his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Gertrude SMYERS of Wabash,
Ind. and Mrs Viola GOULD of Fremont; two sons, Leo of Mt. Vernon, Wash.,
and Sgt. Kenneth in the army; and one sister, Mrs. Weston HITT of Bryan.
Correction:
sister should read Mrs. John Wesley HITT (not Mrs. Weston HITT)

REBECCA DOLORS DALLY
from The Bryan Press, Jan. 24, 1895, page 2
DALLY - At midnight, on Jan. 19th., Rebecca Dolors, infant daughter of E.
C. and Eva DALLY, died at the home of her parents, north of Bryan, aged 5
months and 26 days. Funeral services were held at the home on last Sunday
afternoon and the little body was laid to rest in Fountain Grove cemetery.
Rev. KAYHOE was the officiating clergyman. The parents have the sympathy of
the community.

NOAH DALLY
from The Bryan Press, August 30, 1894
DALLY - At his home, north of Bryan, on Monday, August 27, aged 66 years,
10 months and 17 days, Noah DALLY.
Mr. DALLY was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1827, and came to this
place in July, 1863, where he resided up to his death. On August 31, 1855,
he married Matilda HARDING, of Licking county, who, with their three living
children, survive him, and mourn the loss of a kind and loving husband and
father. Two children preceded him to the other world. Noah DALLY became a
professed follower of Jesus Christ in his early life, and continued
faithful to his calling unto death. He leaves, besides his widow and three
children, a mother, four brothers and three sisters, eight grandchildren
and many Christian associates, who will ever hold him in loving remembrance.
Funeral services were held yesterday at one o'clock p. m. at the residence,
and the remains laid to rest in Fountain Lawn cemetery.

MATILDA (HARDING) DALLY
Death of Mrs. DALLY
from The Bryan Press, April 13, 1911
Matilda DALLY died at her daughter's home north of town, Tuesday morning.
She had not been well, but was not thought to be in any danger up to a few
moments of her death. She helped to get the morning meal and seemed to be
in her usual health, when she suddenly complained of being ill and passed
away before anything could be done to save her. Mrs. DALLY was 73 years old
and a pioneer of this part of the country. Her husband died 17 years ago,
and since she has lived with her children, of whom she had three, two
daughters Mrs. William ROSENDAUL and Mrs. William HITT, and one son,
Clever, who lives in Fremont, Indiana.
Funeral services will be held this morning at the home, Rev. Mr. BELL in
charge of the ceremonies.
Correction:
daughter should be Mrs. John Wesley HITT (not Mrs. William HITT)

>From The Bryan Democrat, April 14, 1911, page 1
Mrs. DALLY Passed Away
Mrs. Matilda DALLY who resided with her daughter near Bryan passed away
Tuesday, April 11. Mrs. DALLY had been able to be around at her work in the
morning and suddenly complained of not being well and before help could get
to her she died. Mrs. DALLY was born October 14, 1837 and was 73 years, 3
months and 27 days at the time of her death. She leaves two daughters, Mrs.
Wm. ROSENDAUL and Mrs. Wm. HITT besides a host of relatives and friends to
mourn her departure. Funeral services were held Thursday from the home and
remains were laid to rest in the Fountain Grove cemetery.
Corrections:
Mrs. Wm. HITT should be Mrs. John Wesley HITT
and had one living son, Clever DALLY

>From The Bryan Press, April 20, 1911
OBITUARY
Matilda HARDING DALLY was born in Licking county, Ohio, October 14, 1837
and died at her home north of Bryan April 11th., 1911 at the age of 73
years, 5 months and 27 days. She was married to Noah DALLY, August 31, 1855
and to them were born five children, two of whom have preceeded their
parents to that better world. Her husband died August 27, 1894. For many
years she with her husband were faithful members of the English Lutheran
church, being among its earliest members.
She leaves to mourn her loss, three children, Clever DALLY of Fremont; Mrs.
Rebecca J. HITT of Bryan; William of Defiance and Joseph of Los Angeles
(this is a misprint, the last two are her brothers); 12 grandchildren, 2
great grandchildren and a host of friends. For the greater part of fifty
years Mother DALLY has been a great sufferer, all of which she has borne
with the sweetest Christian patience, thinking rather of those about her
than of herself. A loving mother, sister, grandmother has gone to her long
awaited reward. Her house was in order, she was prepared for the call of
her Master and consequently she could truely say "For me to die is gain."
"Oh, Death, where is thy sting? Oh, Grave, where is thy victory?"
Funeral services were conducted in her late home north of Bryan by her
pastor Rev. Alvin E. BELL and burial was had in beautiful Fountain Grove.
CARDS OF THANKS
The family of Mrs. Matilda DALLY desire to thank their neighbors and other
friends for the many kindnesses rendered to them at the death of their
mother, to the choir and pastor of the English Lutheran church and to all
others for their words of sympathy and comfort. - The Family.

GEORGE W. HARDING
>From The Bryan Press, March 27, 1930
George W. HARDING was born near Newark, Ohio, Sept. 18, 1839, and died at
his home on E. Butler street, Bryan, Ohio, March 23, 1930, aged 90 years, 6
months and 4 days. He learned the harness making trade at Utica, Ohio, and
in 1860 came to Bryan, Ohio. Here he worked at his trade for several years,
and on June 10, 1863 he embarked in the business for himself at the same
location which he occupied at the time of his death. It was one of his
ambitions to live so as to establish a new record for any one man being in
business at the same stand. The record in the United States has been 65
years. He desired to live to make the record 70 years. This he was not
permitted to do, but he did break the record by being in business at the
same old stand on the south side of the square for nearly 67 years. He was
a member of the first school board of the city and was president of the
board when the first class was graduated 52 years ago and presented the
diplomas. He also presented the diplomas to the class which graduated two
years ago, which was the largest class ever graduated from the school. He
also served the city as a member of the city council.
Mr. HARDING united with the First English Lutheran church Aug. 16, 1885,
during the pastorate of Rev. A. J. TURKLE, D. D. and has been a faithful
member ever since. He was always at his place in the sanctuary when able to
be there. He was a member of Bryan Lodge No. 215 F. & A. M. for more than
sixty years, having been initiated as an Entered Apprentice June 17, 1869,
passed to the degree of Fellowcraft July 22, 1869, and raised to a Master
Mason August 12th., 1869. He was a Companion of Northwest Chapter No. 45 R.
A. M. having received his degrees during the year 1870. He was also a
Companion of Bryan Council No. 101 R. & S. M. having received his degrees
June 9, 1909. He was a Past Master of Bryan Lodge No. 215 F. & A. M. having
served during the lodge year of 1913 to 1914. He received a past master's
jewel from Bryan Lodge No. 215 F. & A. M. and a Fifty Year medal from the
Grand Lodge of Ohio. He was a faithful member of Bryan Lodge and will be
greatly missed by the brothers.
Mr. HARDING was initiated into Bryan Chapter No. 248 O. E. S. on July 15,
1907, while Margaret Jean RILEY was Worthy Matron and Eugene NEWMAN Worthy
Patron. He never held office in the Chapter but was a loyal member. Because
of his advanced age, at a meeting in October, 1928, he was made a life
member. He was present at the second meeting in October and thanked the
Chapter for this honor. This proved to be his last visit, and the order has
lost a respected and admired member. George HARDING was also an honored
member of I. O.O. F. to which order he belonged for more than 64 years.
On Nov. 1, 1868 he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy E. HECKENLIVELY
who departed this life Sept. 17, 1920. To this union were born four
children, Stanley of Montpelier, Stanton of Bryan, Lena Evelyn, who
departed this life Jan. 31, 1875 and Mary Leona who died May 30, 1929.
Besides the two sons he is survived by five grandchildren and a host of
friends. Mr. HARDING was the last of a family of nine children. It may also
be stated that he numbered among his relatives the late President of the U.
S., Warren HARDING.
Funeral services were conducted at the First English Lutheran church on
Tuesday afternoon, March 25, at 1:20, by his pastor, Rev. J. Ernest
ZIMMERMAN, and interment was made in Fountain Grove cemetery.

JOSEPH HENRY HARDING
from The Bryan Press May 13, 1915, page 5
Joseph Henry HARDING, a brother of G. W. HARDING, of Bryan, died at his
home in San Bernadino, Cal., a week ago. A San Bernadino paper prints an
account of his funeral, which was held in the Congregational church and
attended by ceremonies of the patriotic orders of which he was a member. He
was a veteran of the Civil War and was born in Louisville, Ky., October 2,
1841. He enlisted at the age of 19 in the 31st. Ohio Infantry and served
through the entire war.
After the war he located in Bryan and lived here until about 1883, when he
went West and made his home in Kansas and California ever since. He was
married to Harriet SNYDER in 1870, and she survives him. They had five
sons, all of whom were with the father in his last sickness, except the
oldest, Jasper, who passed away some years ago.
The G. A. R. and W. R. C., took part in the funeral and Mr. HARDING's death
removed a prominent figure from the circles of his home city where he was
highly respected.

WILLIAM HARDING, Sr.
>From The Bryan Press, July 14, 1892, page 2 and
The Bryan Democrat, July 14, 1892, page 8.
HARDING - On Thursday, July 7th., at the age of 83 years, William HARDING,
SR. Wm. HARDING, Sr., was born in Padbury, Buckinghamshire, England, April
5th., 1809. He sailed from Liverpool, March 30th, 1832, and arrived in New
York Harbor, May 1st.
On January 8th, 1834, at Springfield, Onida county, N. Y., he united in
marriage with Miss Matilda BAYLIS, a native of Finmore, Oxfordshire,
England. She bore him nine children, four of which died in early childhood
and one, Mrs. Charlotte PERKINS, died in Kansas last fall. Three sons, Geo.
W., of Bryan, William, od Defiance, and Joseph, of Kansas, and one
daughter, Mrs. Noah DALLY, of Bryan, and B. F. REPP, to whom he was a
father since his eighth year, yet survive to mourn his loss and cherish his
memory. His devoted wife died about twenty years ago, and he married Mrs.
Maria (FREEMAN) BAKER, who also preceded him into the "land of the majority."
At the residence of his son, George, on East Butler st., after an illness
of but eight days, in the presence of his sons George and William, and
daughter Mrs. DALLY, and others, on last Thursday evening, he peacefully
departed for the land of eternal youth. Thus after 83 years, 3 months and 2
days, Father HARDING is no more in the flesh.
For the past 55 years he has been a citizen of Ohio. The first twenty-six
years of this he lived in Knox and Licking counties and the last
twenty-nine in Williams county, coming here on July 10th, 1863 -
twenty-nine years ago to the day of his funeral. The only public office he
ever held was township trustee for one term, soon after coming to this
county. The funeral services were held on last Sunday at 3pm., in the
English Lutheran church, of which he was the oldest and one of the most
esteemed members.
We wish through your paper, to thank our neighbors and friends who so
kindly assisted us during the sickness and death of our father. - G. W.
HARDING and Family.

DEATH OF WM. HARDING
from The Bryan Democrat, Feb. 24, 1920, page 1
William HARDING, aged 72 years, brother of G. W. HARDING of East Butler
street, and a former resident and business man of Bryan, passed away at the
home of his son, Bert HARDING, four miles southeast of Defiance, Saturday,
February 21, 1920.
For a number of years, Mr. HARDING conducted a harness store just north of
the First National Bank, selling to B. F. REPP some twenty years ago and
moving to Defiance. He was a Civil War veteran, enlisting at the age of 16
years and serving throughout, being made captain of his company during the
time. He leaves a widow, one son, one daughter and 9 grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held at the home of his son Tuesday afternoon,
February 24, at 2 o'clock, Interment will be in the Defiance cemetery.

This thread: