OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940787145


From: christina m hursh <>
Subject: Bio: John Zehring, Montgomery Co.
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:45:45 -0500


"The History of Montgomery County, Ohio."; by W. H. Beers & Co., pub
1882
page 292

JOHN ZEHRING, merchant, Germantown. In the year 1725, Ludwig Zehring
and
family emigrated from Baden, Germany, to the American colonies, and prior
to
1732 located in what afterward became Lebanon County, Penn., purchasing
130
acres from the Indians, for which he paid L20, 10s 11d, and with a few
others
of his faith, erected near his farm the Swataa Reformed Church, located
two
miles east of Jonestown, which building has long since been replaced by a

more modern and commodious house of worship. Here in this county was
born
William Zehring, in October, 1792, grew up under the parental roof, and
in
1818 married Miss Elizabeth Garst, who was born in the same county in
1794,
of which union were born five children, viz.: John, William, Christian,
Lydia, now Mrs. Binkerd of Dayton, and Barbara, now Mrs. Miltenbarger, of

Warren County, Ohio. The farm upon which Ludwig Zehring settled is yet
owned
by his descendants, and from this point, in the spring of 1819, William
and
wife started for Ohio, locating in Butler County, near Blue Ball, where
he
purchased fifty acres of land, upon which he lived nine years, when he
sold
it at a sacrifice of $300 and bought a quarter section on Louis Run in
Jackson Township, Montgomery County, Ohio. Here he passed many years,
raised
his family, and embraced the faith of the German Baptist Church, of which
he
ever tried to be a worthy member until his death in 1870, his latter days

having been spent at his son William's residence, in Miami County, Ind.
His
widow still survives him; is in her eighty-eighth year; makes her home
with
her daughter, in Warren County, and has also been a life-long member of
the
German Baptist Church. The subject of this sketch was born in Butler
County,
Ohio, January 25, 1820, receiving his education in the well-known log
schoolhouse of the pioneer days, and so persevering did he prosecute his
studies, that upon leaving school, he was competent of teaching, which he

followed in the winter months, the summer being devoted to farming. Mr.
Zehring was married, November 25, 1841, to Miss Nancy Snavely, a native
of
Lebanon County, Penn., who came to Ohio with her parents, John and
Rebecca
Snavely, in 1831. Of this union have been born eleven children, ten of
whom
are now living, and two of the sons were soldiers in the Union army,
viz.: S.
Perry, who enlisted in Company H, Thirty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer
Infantry, at the age of sixteen, participating in all the battles of his
regiment, Perryville, Ky., Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and Sherman's march
to
Atlanta, Ga., being the most important. He served three years, and
during
this time, was never absent or lost a day's service, and was mustered out
at
Atlanta, Ga., but soon after reaching home, he again concluded to enter
the
service of his country, and raised Company H, One Hundred and
Ninety-seventh
Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, of which he was chosen Captain, but the
war
ending six months subsequently, with the surrender of Lee, the regiment
was
mustered out of service. D. Washington Zehring enlisted in 1864, in the
Signal Service, and at the close of the war, was honorably discharged.
Our
subject continued to teach school and farm until 1847, when, having saved
a
small amount of money he, in partnership with his brother William, opened
a
store at Farmersville, where they did a successful business until 1853,
when
the partnership was dissolved, and John removed to Germantown and bought
the
dry goods house of Stump & Gunckel, where he yet continues to do
business.
During his mercantile career in Germantown, he has had as partners, H.
Elliott, the present Common Pleas Judge of this district, and J. S.
Binkerd,
of Dayton, and is, at present associated with his son, S. Perry, under
the
firm name of John Zehring & Co. Politically, Mr. Zehring was a Democrat
until 1852, when he severed his connection with the Democracy, and with
others of his political faith, assisted in organizing what has been known
as
the Republican party, which principles he has since advocated. He was at
one
time nominated for the State Senate, to represent the counties of
Montgomery
and Preble, which district had previously given about 800 Democratic
majority, but Mr. Zehring was defeated by only seventy votes. In 1865,
he
was elected Justice of the Peace, which position of trust and confidence
he
has filled continuously up to the present. He is a member of the Masonic

Fraternity, also of the I. O. O. F. Has always been a man of strong, yet

liberal religious convictions, and an earnest worker in establishing and
perpetuating Sabbath schools. He has lived a very temperate life, not
even
using tobacco; retains much of his youthful vigor, has always taken an
active
part in all public enterprises, and is widely respected by all.


___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tag

This thread: