OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940787232


From: christina m hursh <>
Subject: bio: Michael Trout, Montgomery co.
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:47:12 -0500


"The History of Montgomery County, Ohio."; by W. H. Beers & Co., pub
1882
page 291-292

MICHAEL TROUT, physician, Germantown, is the only survivor of a
family of
eleven children, and is the son of George and Margaret (Zigler) Trout,
both
natives of Pennsylvania. George, in his minor days, learned the potter
trade, and afterward located in business on the Monongahela River, where
he
remained until about 1812, when he removed to Perry County, Ohio, and
continued his occupation (potter) in the town of Somerset. At the close
of
the Indian war of 1812, he organized a militia company, and served as its

Captain until age plainly told on his wrinkled brow and frosted hair,
disabling him for parade. He was a practical and useful man in his
county,
and was chosen as Associate Judge. During life he accumulated some
property,
and generally was a constant and generous contributor to all worthy
enterprises. He and wife trod the path of a united life until old age
bent
both their frames, when they were called hence. Michael, whose name
heads
this biography, was born June 21, 1809, at Williamsport, Washington Co.,
Penn., and was brought to Perry County, Ohio, by his parents, in
childhood.
They being located in the town of Somerset, his educational privileges
were
not so much limited as many others of that early age. In 1827, he came
to
Germantown, Montgomery Co., Ohio, where he taught one term of school, and
has
since continuously resided, except five years in Wayne County, Ind.,
subsequently obtained a situation as a dry goods clerk, and during spare
moments applied himself to the reading of medicine; finally, acquired a
fair
knowledge of the science. To this end he entered the Ohio Medical
College at
Cincinnati and improved his vacation[sic], under the directions of Dr.
Espich, who was a reliable practitioner and safe counselor. After the
completion of Dr. Trout's collegiate or lecture courses, he became
associated
as partner with his (former) preceptor. After one year's existence of
this
firm, by mutual consent, it dissolved, and Dr. Trout continued by
himself.
He is one among the oldest practicing physicians of Montgomery County,
has
withstood the storms of over half a century's practice. He has been for
many
years a member of and Trustee in the Lutheran Church, also a valuable
member
of the Order of I. O. O. F., having taken nearly all the degrees. His
marriage was solemnized February 21, 1832, with Amelia Schwartz, who was
born
March 4, 1813, in Baltimore, Md., and an exemplary member of the Lutheran

Church. Of their eleven children three survive -- Isadora L., Henry S.
and
Theodore.





___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tag

This thread: