OH-FOOTSTEPS-L Archives

Archiver > OH-FOOTSTEPS > 1999-10 > 0940984703

From: "Maggie Stewart" <>
Subject: Fw: Nicholas Durbin Will, Jefferson County
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:38:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed Durbin <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 1999 9:14 PM
Subject: Seeking Lawrence Durbin descendent researchers

I have been searching for information about Lawrence/Larrence Durbin
whose father was Nicholas Durbin who was a son of Samuel Durbin and Anne
Logsdon Durbin. I have a copy of Nicholas Durbin's will which was filed
in Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio. At the time it was written,
Nicholas owned land in Adena, OH on which I was born and spent my
childhood. However, I did not know that at the time my family lived
there. (A transcribed copy of the will is to be found at the end of this
e-mail for anyone wishing to see it.)
Nicholas' son, Lawrence, was the executor of the will.
I have been able to trace Lawrence Durbin to property that he had
purchased in Holmes County, OH. His brother Elisha lived in the same
area.
I have not been able to get to Holmes County to do research, but I do
have a copy of the 1830 census giving their names and an 1840 census
listing one of their sisters.
You will notice in the Nicholas' Will that there are several places
where Durbin is misspelled. Perhaps other researchers of that time and
place might find some names that are familiar to them.
I would like to know more about Lawrence because he appears to have
been my g-g-g-grandfather. Some of his siblings moved on to Indiana.
Could Lawrence have moved there, too, and perhaps died there? It
appears that several descendants of the Durbin/Logsdon line kept moving
west and more than one branch of the family moved to Indiana. Is there
any Durbin researcher who has information on these migrations?
Which branch of the Durbin line settled in, as stayed, in Mt. Vernon,
OH? Could they have been Lawrence Durbin's descendants?
Anyone who can add anything to the information I already have or
answer any of the above questions would be most appreciated.
Cordially, Ed Durbin (L. Edward Durbin)
***********************************

Nicholas Durbin's LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, State of Ohio, Jefferson
County:

Know all men by these presents that I Nicholas Durbon of the State of
Ohio Jefferson County and Shortcreek (sic -- Shortcreek) Township being
now weak of body but of perfect mind and memory do constitute and
appoint this my last will and testament in manner and form following to
wit first I will and bequeath to my beloved Daughter Mary Durbin one
feather bed and one side saddle to her and her heirs forever. Secondly
I will that a due bill that I have on George Meason be equally devided
(sic) between my three sons Nicholas Durbon, Lawrence Durben, and Elisha
Durbin Thirdly I will that all and singular my other property be sold
and my lawful debts being paid out of the same the reaminder to be
equally devided amongst all my children namely Ruth Glasmer, Thomas
Durbin, Honaur Connel, Hannah Craig, Nicholas Durbin, Lawrence Durbon,
Elisha Durbin, Raphel Durbin, Mary Durben and Jacob Durbin fourthly and
lastly I appoint and constitute my son Lawrence Durbin Sole Executor of
this my last will and testement hereby revoking disannuling and
disallowing all other wills and testaments by me made in testemony
whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty first day of
September in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and Eleven.
Sighed Nicholas [X] Durben

At a court of Common please holden at Steubenville Jefferson County in
and for said county on the 10th day of December 1811 Personally comes
James Beaty and James Roberts subscribing witnesses to the foregoing
will and made oath that they did see Nichols Durbin the testator sign
and seal this will that at the time of so doing he was to their
appritention of sound mind that the [sic] heard him publish it to be his
last will and testament that they subscribed their names at his request
and in his presence & in the presence of each other.

Confirmed by the testator in the presence of us