PACAMBRI-L Archives

Archiver > PACAMBRI > 2005-02 > 1108437649

From: "Lisa Baker" <>
Subject: Re: [PaCambri] Charles Lantzy
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:20:49 -0500

Marilyn,

I would have seen the obit eventually, but thank you for your notice on Charles Lantzy passing.

Charles celebrated his 103rd year of life on January 21, 1902. I never personally met him, but spent a good portion of the 1990s in communication with him. He leant me several of his index files, his copy of the Weakland (1730-1974) Baker (1834-1974) genealogy published by Edwin Baker, and gave me copies of the following books he published.

Genealogy Charts covering some of the families descended from Joseph and Mary Ursula (Bitter) Lantzy, John and Susan (Cunningham) Weakland and some miscellaneous families, 15 JUL 1988, updated SEP 1989

Genealogy on the family of Bernard A. and Martha M. (Angert) Lantzy, their descendants and ancestors, 8 JAN 1991

Genealogy Charts, by Charles Lantzy, in the 92nd year of his life, 20 MAY 1994

Genealogy on the first known ancestor, Lenzi, 1638-1713, down to present generation Bernard A. Lantzy, 1878-1962, by his son, Charles A. Lantzy, in his 93rd year, 30 MAR 1995

Genealogy on the first 54 years of life, by Charles Lantzy, in the 94th year of his life, 17 AUG 1996

Genealogy on the Battle of Antietam, MD and the Battle of Gettysburg, PA, 21 APR 1997

Genealogy of the Weakland Ancestors who came to America on the ships calls Ark and the Dove, Landing on the Eastern Shores of Maryland on the 25th day of March 1634, 18 MAR 1998

The Lenzi-Lantzy Genealogy, 12 AUG 1998

The Finale Genealogy Charts, #274-#292, 7 OCT 1998

Angert-Ritzert plus related families, 5 JUL 1999

What awed me was that almost all his research was done manually (I love my computer), and he had information on so many of the early families of Cambria county. Like Marilyn, Charles would occasionally write and ask me to do some (what I considered) minor research for him, and then send me another book he had published.

Anyone who has ever used an obit, newspaper article or cemetery listing I've posted should give thanks to Charles, as he was a major influence in the way I research and share information with other individuals. While I'm at it, I'd also like to use this time to give thanks to Joan Yeckley (who is married to one of my dad's Krug cousins), and Ida Krug (another one of my dad's cousins). All three of these individuals were very kind and helpful to a one-time genealogy novice.

Lisa Baker
Columbus, OH