PEART-L Archives

Archiver > PEART > 2007-01 > 1167763723

From: ,
Subject: Re: [PEART] Joseph A. PEART b. 2 Apr 1858 in IL (s/o Jacob)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:48:43 -0000

Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.peart/112.4/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hello to all in the Peart-Magby family. Based upon the postings of others contributing to this thread, the information of Jacob Peart's christening of 16 Feb 1823 in the village of Allenheads to the parents of John Peart and Elizabeth Watson, probably will link to our Pearts in Lanehead (Upper Weardale Valley). As we are finding out, various members of the Peart clan explored and mined various areas of the valley during the 1700's and 1800's (at least as far back as we can tell from family - church records). Allenheads is only a few miles north of Lanehead with an established road/trail (up and over the Heathery Cleugh).

The WATSON surname figured promimently during the 1700's from what I have been reading, including the Wesleyan religious movement that probably lead to the Primitive Methodist focus in the upper Weardale Valley. So I am quite certain that the Pearts from Lanehead have various family ties to the Peart of Allenheads. I have checked our family records, primarily the family charts established by Doris Walton from her published book of "Peart, A History of the Family of Joseph Peart", donated by Doris Haradon Walton, Stillwater, OK, Rush, Weardale, Durham Co., England, 1989 (about 200 pages). Unfortunately, Doris died about a year ago (in her 80's) before we (the family of Pearts) had a chance to get in touch with her. We found her work during the summer of 2005 in the Coal City Library (Grundy County, Illinois about 45 miles southwest of Chicago). After checking the charts, I did not see any John Peart m. Elizabeth Watson, although we do have John Peart [chr 1783 Cowsill - !
d 29 Feb 1856, Burtreeford] m 2 July 1803 to Sarah Watson. (Page 33). According to Doris's charts Sarah Watson [b 15 Sept 1782- d 3 Dec 1853 @ 71 yrs] was the daughter of Joshua Watson (chr 21 Apr 1743) and Mary ? [Watson?]. What's interesting is that this couple did name their youngest daughter (of 10 children) as Elizabeth (chr 23 Feb 1826).

John Peart (1783-1856) was the son of John Peart of Loning and Mary Gibson (don't have any dates) and Isabella Peart. Isabella chr 7 April 1764- d 79 yrs 30 May 1842 was the dau of Joseph Peart 1731-1791 and Sarah CAIN 1736- 1794, dau of John Cain m. 24 August 1732 to Isabel Emerson. Our Peart line came Joseph's son, Cuthbert Peart 1766-1834 who lived & died in Lanehead, raising a large family (and married twice).

There are many Pearts of record in this upper Weardale Valley. A good start is the Durham Co. records on-line that link to the various parish records available. Another excellent source is the Weardale Museum--a small family run effort. They have been working on a computerized tree and may be of help.

Our Pearts immigrated to the US in 1853. Some of the children migrated from Zanesville, Ohio to ag-coal lands of Grundy and Will County, south of Chicago. Why they moved there (?), my guess was word of mouth of coal resources. So far we have not linked any of the Pearts one can find in the Pennsylvannia area, but there were a number of Pearts and Waltons that went to Canada around Montreal area and then some moved to the US (Webster Co., Iowa--Higbee area). During the late 1800's some of our Pearts stayed in the Zanesville area, some stayed in the Grundy and Will County area, some went to Iowa, and my family migrated to Moody County, South Dakota (about 40 miles north of Sioux Falls--becoming farmers).

So yes, I am very interested in linking up with the Village of Allenheads Peart clan. You can get in touch with me at . I have also posted on Genforum. Also check the Peart family tree information prepared by S. Foster (Doris Walton's family tree material was converted into a family treemaker format, with some corrections, thanks to some recommendations from the Weardale Museum). Note: the US Census records also showed a number of Pearts in LaSalle County, just northwest of Grundy County. So far, we have not been able to link to them. If anyone is real computer savy, it would really be neat to establish a Peart website. The next question about Pearts is where did they come from? One cousin thinks they came from France. I think before Henry the 8th (mid 1500's), the Peart clan may have been aligned with Scottish Catholics. However, when the catholics were basically assumed by the church of England in the 1500's in Durham county, I think they !
sort of kept to themselves in the dales above the city and eeked out a living of squatting on the king's land (near his hunting grounds) and mining lead with consent of the local bishop. The survey of 1799 under King George III identified the allotments of a number of Pearts in Lanhead

(see: "Plan of Burtree Moor and Pudding Thorn Moor, in the Park and Forest of Weardale, and County of Durham, as the same were divided and alloted, in pursuance of an Act of Parliment, passed in the 39th Year of his Majesty, King George III, 1799, John Hall, Surveyor--Page 168-169 of Doris Walton's book, 1989)

Then came the Weselyan movement and then Primitive Methodism (which became the apparent religion of choice for many in Upper Weardale Valley). I don't know how much this religion got to the Allenheads. One of the Peart families was a leader in such a congregation in Shawnee, Perry County, Ohio (just south of Zanesville) during the 1880's.

This thread: