QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2001-10 > 1002246965

From: "William Hilles" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] William HOGE of ship "Caledonia"
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:56:05 -0400

Several of you have expressed an interest in William Hoge. He was my
6G-Grandfather. The following is from my Hoge file.

Bill Hilles

William Hoge I (1660-1749)
[6G-Grandfather of William Clark Hilles]

William Hoge I was born in Musselboro (currently Musselburgh, in Midlothian,
in the environs of present-day Edinburgh). He was the first American
ancestor of this family. He emigrated to the Colonies about 1682 because of
religious persecutions in Scotland under the Stuarts. Sailing on the ship
Caledonia, those aboard experienced an outbreak of pestilence in the
overcrowded ship. On this voyage, he met his future wife, Barbara Hume, who
suffered the tragedy of losing both parents during the trip to America.
William became her protector, and delivered her and her property to the
hands of an uncle, a physician named Johnson, who was already in NY. He
travelled a bit further to Perth Amboy, NJ to make himself a home. [The
Family of Hoge, James Hoge Tyler, 1927]

William soon returned to New York to marry Barbara Hume, and the couple made
their home in Perth Amboy, where their first son John was born. They
subsequently moved to a part of Pennsylvania that eventually was
incorporated into the state of Delaware; then in 1729 they moved to the
Cumberland Valley (Lancaster Co., newly formed from Chester Co.) in
Pennsylvania, where they spent most of their adult lives. [Hoge, James
Fulton, Ed. The Family of Hoge. His will was written in April 1729 (when
he admitted to being "very sick and weak in body) -- though he lived on for
another twenty years.

Historical documents vary in listing the names and number of their children.
The 1927 Tyler volume, The Family of Hoge states that they had seven sons
and two daughters. Other documents indicate that they had five sons. William
Hoge's will indicates that William and Barbara had five sons -- John,
William, Alexander, James, and George and three daughters Margaret, who
married Dr. Robert White; Nancy, who married Robert Wilson, and Joreber. It
should be noted however, that the only reference found to Joreber was in
William Hoge's will when it was written in 1729; I found no other historical
document that mentions her name. She may have died before the will was
probated. Solomon and Zebulon, listed as William and Barbara's children in
the Tyler account, appear actually to be their grandchildren, sons of
William Jr. and his wife Ann.[Cartmell, T. K. Shendandoah Valley Pioneers
and Their Descendants. Berryville, VA: Chesapeake Book Co., 1963]

Little is known as to William's occupation, but apparently he accumulated
considerable resources through his working years. The fact that William and
Barbara were respectively 75 and 65 years old when they embarked on their
Virginia adventure is worthy of emphasis. In 1735 the whole family --
except for John -- moved south to Kernstown, Frederick Co., VA. William was
in the party of Joist Hite, who was the first white man to settle
permanently in old Frederick Co., VA. William and his family settled on the
Opequon River, a branch of the Potomac, about three miles south of
Winchester, and called it Hoge Run. In November 1735, William Hoge
purchased a tract of 411 acres from Hite [Pearson, Lennart. "Historic
Opequon Church." Unpublished manuscript in Handley Library, Winchester, VA,
1964.] William and Barbara lived to develop a fruitful life in Virginia.
Indeed, it appears that William had a vision and agenda for his latter
years, and he set to work on it as soon as he reached his new settlement. He
claimed title to his land through a grant independent of Hite, and
controlled a large tract. He sold parcels therefrom without question as to
his title. The homestead was due west from the Opequon Memorial Church.
The land for this church was donated by William. John Hoge -- the son of
William's son John, who had remained in PA -- was its first pastor. Both
William and Barbara are buried in the Church cemetery. [American Biography,
A new Cyclopedia, Vol. 47, The America Historical Society, pp. 118-19]

Joist Hite (an anglicized version of his Alsatian name "Hans Jost Heydt"
[Dohme, Alvin. Shendoah: The Valley Story. Washington, DC: Potomac Books,
1972]), a German immigrant, purchased 40,000 acres of land from John and
Isaac Van Meter, who had secured the original land grant from Governor Gooch
of Virginia, an officer of the King. [White, H.M. "A Historical Paper
prepared by Rev. Henry M. White, D.D., Pastor of Opequon Church, and read by
him October 30, 1897, the date of the dedication of the New Church."
Document in the Handley Library, Winchester, VA.] A mill owner in
Pennsylvania, Hite gathered a number of families -- mostly German and Scotch
Irish -- to join him and settle the Shenandoah lands. The initial party
arrived in Virginia in 1731; the Hoge family came four years later. [Norris,
J.E., Ed. History of the Lower Shenandoanh Valley. Originally published
Chicago 1890. Reprinted Berryville, VA: Virginia Book Co., 1972.]
Subsequently, a dispute arose about the ownership of land claimed by Lord
Fairfax and settled by the Hite party, and in 1736 Fairfax initiated a
lawsuit against Joist Hite and his partner William McKay for trespass. The
case evolved into one of the most protracted and complicated cases in legal
history, lasting a full 50 years before the final judgment was made in favor
of Hite and McKay in l786, some 30 years after William and Barbara had
passed on.

In 1736 Hoge devoted a portion of his land to establish a church, and he had
the first log meeting house built at his own expense. [Gordon, C. Langdon.
A Sketch of the Historic Opequon Presbyterian Church, Winchester, Virginia,
1984] In 1745 he donated to the church the parcel of land that included the
meeting house, an adjoining burial ground, and a schoolhouse.[Kaine, D.,
Uniontown, PA. Letter to F.L. Hoge, Wheeling, WV, Augurst 31, 1980.
Document in Handley Library, Winchester, VA.] This was the first organized
church in the Shenandoah Valley and the first known Presbyterian-
congregation west of the Blue Ridge mountains. In 1755 John Hoge, William
and Barbara's grandson through their son John, became the first settled
Pastor of the church. It is said that from 1754 to 1757, while stationed at
Winchester, General George Washington worshipped at Opequon; frequently
after the worship service he would dine at the
home of Robert and Nancy (Hoge) Wilson. [Pearson, Lennart. "Historic
Opequon Church." Unpublished manuscript in Handley Library, Winchester, VA,
1964.]

After a long, fruitful life William and Barbara died, she in 1745 and he
four years later. Both are buried in the cemetery at the church which they
were so instrumental in developing.

William Hoge's Last Will and Testament:

In the name of God Amen. This eighteenth day of April in the year of Our
Lord one thousand seven hundred and twenty nine. I, William Hoge, of
Nottingham in ye County of Chester and Provence of Pennsylvania lands, a
farmer, being very sick and weak in body, but of perfect mind and memory,
Thanks be given unto God therefore, calling unto mind ye mortality of my
body and knowing yt it is appointed for all men once to dy, do make and
ordain this my Last Will and Testament, yt is to say principally and first
of all I give and recommend it to ye earth be buried in a Christian like and
decent manner, at the descretion of my Executors. Nothing doubting but at ye
general Resurrection I shall receive ye same again by ye mighty power of God
and as touching such worldly (goods) wherewith it has pleased God to bless
me in this life, devise and dispose of ye same in ye following maner form--.
lmprimus my will is yt all my just debts and funeral charges be paid as soon
as conveniently they can after my decease Secondly my will is yt Barbara my
will beloved wife shal have ye benefit of ye plantation whereon I now live
during her life Thirdly my will is yt my son John Hoge shall fully be
possessed of yt tract of land yt I made over to him by Deed of Gift Fourthly
is yt my son William Hoge shall have yt 100 a. of land whereon he now lives
which is secured to him by a bill of sale Fiftly is yt my will is yt my
son-in-law Noal Thomson shall have 100 a. of land whereon he lives during
his life and at his decease to be his wife and her heirs forever Sixly that
my son in law Robert White shal have 5 shillings Sevently my will is yt my
sons Allexander, James and George shall have ye remainder of my land to be
equally divided amongst them by men of their own choosing yt there is no
difference between them nor go to law one with another about it Eightly my
will is yt my daughter Joroter Hoge will have 50 pounds in money or value
thereof leveyed out of ye stock and what debts is due to me and if that will
not be so yt ye remainder be raised of ye plantation Ninthly and lastly. I
likewise constitute make and ordain George Galassbey of newcastle County and
Barbara my well beloved wife Executor and Executrix of this my last will and
testament. And I do hereby utterly disallow revoke and disanull all other
forms testaments wills and legacies bequests executors by me in any way
before this time named willed and bequeathed, Ratifying and confirming this
and no other to be my last will and testament, In witness whereof I have
here- unto set my hand and seal ye day and year above written; William Hoge
[seal] Signed sealed published pronounced and declared by ye William Hoge to
be his last Willand Testament in ye presence of us subscribers, We: John
Ruddoll, Enoch Job, William Rogers Admitted for probate Wednesday Nov. 15,
1749, in Frederick County, VA.