SHACKELFORD-L Archives

Archiver > SHACKELFORD > 1999-02 > 0919749724

From: "Matt Waack" <>
Subject: Re: [SHACKELFORD-L] Henrietta "Hennie" Ross m. Shackelford
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:02:04 -0600

Dear Ann,

I am certain you are referring to Henrietta Maria Ross Shackelford, the
second
wife of Brig. General James Murrell Shackelford. James Murrell married his
deceased
first wife's younger sister "Hennie". His first wife's name was Marion
Ross. As you can see
by the family genreport below James m. and Henrietta had 3 children, one of
which was a
Margaret Shackelford. James M. and Marion had a son named William Ross.

As you probably know the family moved to Muskogee, Oklahoma Territory from
Indiana
when James Murrell was appointed the first federal judge of Indian Territory
by the President.

I have much more info on this family as James Murrell was my g-g grandfather
Addison Pope's
younger bother by one year. Would be glad to trade information on these
Shackelford/ Ross
lines. My mother Nina Ruth Waack (DAR) would also
definitely be interested in
the papers you speak of. I have copies of J. M. Shackelfords Pension Papers
that my mom sent me
- they were filed by Henrietta

Matthew Waack ( )

Descendants of James Murrell Shackelford

Generation No. 1

1. JAMES MURRELL9 SHACKELFORD (EDMUND8, SAMUEL7, JOHN6, JAMES5, ROGER4,
JOHN3, LANCELOT2, WILLIAM1 DE SHACKELFORD) was born July 07, 1827 in Lincoln
Co. KY, and died September 07, 1909 in Port Huron, MI. He married (1) MARION
STUART ROSS November 1850, daughter of WILLIAM ROSS and ELLEN DADE. He
married (2) HENRIETTA MARIA ROSS April 12, 1864 in Hopkins Co., KY, daughter
of WILLIAM ROSS and ELLEN DADE.

Notes for JAMES MURRELL SHACKELFORD:

Pre-War: Profession Mexican war, lawyer.

War Service: 1861 recruited 25th Kentucky - Col., Fort Donelson, resigned
March 1862, raised 8th Kentucky Cavalry - Col., March 1863 appointed Brig.
Gen. of Volunteers, Geiger's Lake (w), pursued Morgan in his Ohio raid,
commanded a cavalry division at Cumberland Gap, commanded the Cavalry Corps
at Knoxville, resigned January 1864.

Post War: Career Lawyer, judge.

http://pages.tca.net/martikw/thomasle.html

Marriage Notes for JAMES SHACKELFORD and HENRIETTA ROSS:

Found By Carole Palmer, Hopkins County KYGenWeb response 23 Mar 1998.

in Hopkins Co. marriages to 1869 on AAI CD#2

Children of JAMES SHACKELFORD and MARION ROSS are:

i. EMMA10 SHACKELFORD, b. August 1853; m. JAMES PHELPS, October 10, 1877.

ii. ADDISON POPE SHACKELFORD, b. August 30, 1856.

Notes for ADDISON POPE SHACKELFORD:

Lived in his uncle Addison Pope Shackelford's household in 1870 census.

2. iii. WILLIAM ROSS SHACKELFORD, b. April 12, 1858, Madisonville, KY; d.
May 1907, Muskogee, Oklahoma.

iv. NORA S SHACKELFORD, b. March 31, 1860; d. June 25, 1894; m. GEORGE S.
INGLE, WFT Est. 1888-1893, Evanston, Il.

Children of JAMES SHACKELFORD and HENRIETTA ROSS are:

v. MINNIE10 SHACKELFORD, b. May 1865; d. November 1868.

3. vi. LUCH PHELPS SHACKELFORD, b. November 22, 1866.

vii. MARGARET SHACKELFORD, b. February 14, 1870; d. Aft. 1937; m. MARSHALL
LEIGHTON BRAGDON, November 23, 1893, Muskogee, Indian Territory.

Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM ROSS10 SHACKELFORD (JAMES MURRELL9, EDMUND8, SAMUEL7, JOHN6,
JAMES5, ROGER4, JOHN3, LANCELOT2, WILLIAM1 DE SHACKELFORD) was born April
12, 1858 in Madisonville, KY, and died May 1907 in Muskogee, Oklahoma. He
married CORA ARCHER 1890 in Indian Territory.

Notes for WILLIAM ROSS SHACKELFORD:

Served as Deputy Clerk of the United States Court for the Indian Territory
during his father's term

Child of WILLIAM SHACKELFORD and CORA ARCHER is:

i. CHARLOTTA ARCHER11 SHACKELFORD, b. 1891; d. January 1909.

3. LUCH PHELPS10 SHACKELFORD (JAMES MURRELL9, EDMUND8, SAMUEL7, JOHN6,
JAMES5, ROGER4, JOHN3, LANCELOT2, WILLIAM1 DE SHACKELFORD) was born November
22, 1866. She married IRVING J. MORRIS October 17, 1893.

Children of LUCH SHACKELFORD and IRVING MORRIS are:

i. MARION PHELPS11 MORRIS, m. MACPHERSON.

ii. MAY PHELPS MORRIS.

iii. LAWRENCE SHACKELFORD MORRIS, b. 1894; d. WFT Est. 1895-1984.