VAPITTSY-L Archives

Archiver > VAPITTSY > 2002-12 > 1040653217

From: "jbrand" <>
Subject: [VAPITTSY-L] Pittsylvania Co VA Witcher/Adkins/
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 06:20:17 -0800

Happy Holidays,

Anyone connect to this JOhn Witcher and Nancy Anne Adkins (my g-g-g-g--g-grandparetns). I am learning sone even went into Scott Co., VA . John was the brother of Captain William Witcher. Many of their descendants (through Rhoda Witcher and James H. Mallicoat> Larkin Malicoat) finally ended up in Indian Territory, what is now known as Garvin Co., OK..

Thanks
jean

Descendants of John Witcher

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN3 WITCHER (JOHN2, HENRY1) was born Abt. 1742 in Liverpool, Yorkshire, England, and died Bef. 1814 in Grainger Co., TN. He married NANCY "ANNE" ADKINS 1768 in Pityslvania Co., VA, daughter of WILLIAM ADKINS and LYDIA OWENS. She was born 1750 in Pittsylvania Co., VA.

Notes for JOHN WITCHER:
John & William took the Oath of Allegiance to the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1777. John was an Lieutenant and William was a Captain during the Rev. War. Records found in Pittsylvania Co., VA.

John Witcher's nephew:
The Witcher-Clement Case 1860
>From "An Old Virginia Court" by Marshall Wingfield, D.D., Memphis, Tennessee, The West Tennessee Historical Society.

The killing of three Clement brothes---James,William and Ralph by Capt. Vincent Witcher, John A Smith, Vincent Oliver Smith, Samuel Swanson and Addison Witcher. Addison Witcher was the son of Vincent Witcher. John and Vincent Oliver Smith were his grandsons. Samuel Swanson was his son-in-law.

James Clement married Victoria Smith on March13, 1858. He was one of ten children of Dr George W Clement, born1786; married 1811; died 1867. Dr Clement was educated at Hampton-SydneyCollege and the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania. His mother, Stella Smith, was the daughter of Major John Smith of LewisIsland. Their Franklin County home was called "Mountain View".

Victoria Smith was the daughter of Albert G Smith and the granddaughter of Capt. Vincent Witcher. She was born in 1837. The Smith family regarded the Clement family as of inferior social station. Dr Clement was very proud of the beauty and wit of his daughter-in-law,Victoria. Two of her old sweethearts continued their attentions afterher marriage. (of innocent nature) They were William P Gilbert andSamuel D Berger. Her husband, James Clement, accused her of unfaithfulnessand humiliated her. Fearing physical violence, Victoria Smith Clement,fled from her husband on the night of August 24, 1859, and found refugein the home of Sherwood Y Shelton, who lived a mile distant. Sheleft behind her six month old baby, Leila Maud, born March 1, 1859, sogreat was her terror., In three weeks, the taking of depositionswas begun at Dickenson's Store, to be read as evidence in the suit thenpending between John A Smith, next fried of Victoria Smith Clement, plantiff,against James R Clem!
ent, defendant. The taking of depositions continueduntil February 25, 1860, when the Clement brothers were killed. Capt.Vincent Witcher objected to having Elizabeth W Bennett make part of herstatement on Saturday "and then being left in the hands of the oppositeparty to be picked until Monday." He made the statement that shewas under control of the Clements.Ralph Clement said "that whoever saidthat was a damned lie." Capt. Vincent Witcher drew a "five shooter" and started firing at Ralph Clement. Addison Witcher conducted theexamination for the plantif. (Robert Mitchell, Justice of the Peace,appeared to have forgotten everything that transpired).

The bodies of the Clements were riddled with bullets and gashed with knives. William Clement was disembowled; James Clement's throat was slit from ear to ear. Ralph Clement lived three hours and made a dying declaration: I never attempted to draw an arm. Addison Witcher caught and held me and told them to come shoot me. A damned rasccal Robert W Powell stated in his deposition that Addison Witcher held RalphClements while Vincent Oliver Smith shot him. George Finney statedin his deposition that John Anthony Smith shot and stabbed James Clement. Both James and William Clement were reclining on a bed in the CountingRoom when the firing began. Some thought the early firing came fromthe bed. The Pistols of both James and William Clement had been fireduntil empty, but Ralph had not drawn a gun. The three bodies werecarried from Washington Dickinson's Counting room, in a farm wagon, andburied in a simplee grave near the shaded driveway to the old brick house,their boyhood ho!
me.

The defendants claimed self-defense and chargeswere dismissed, March 23, 1860. In June 1860, the depositions werepublished in book form by Dr. G W Clement, Sr.

Vincent Witcher Lodge #87, chartered in 1852,made an investigation. After 1860 no reference was made to VincentWitcher, something happened to him but it was not reported. Therewere no returns from Lodge #87 from 1860-1866. It finally lost itscharter..
____________

Dr. George W Clement's mother, Stella, was thedaughter of John Smith of Lewis Island, son of Mr John Smith of "The Pocket". 1700
(Clement: History of Pittsylvania County)
______

The will of George w Clement is in Will Book 3,pg 2--Pittsylvania Co Clerk's Office, in which he names the children ofJames and Ralph Clement, deceased, and his other seven children by twowives. It was written in 1863 and probated in 1867.
__________

Research on the Clement Family of Pittsylvania County done by Madalene V. Fitzgerald, dec'd.

1778- Sept 20 C.O. 4, p. 154 Issac Clement applointed administrator of the estate of James Clement

1779-February Court C.O. 4, p 191 Regarding thedower of Martha, widow of James Clement.

1778-Aug 27 D.B. 5, p 10
Thomas Dillard and wife Martha and Isaac Clementand wife Ann of Pittsylvania Co to John Roberson 181 acres on SycamoreCr for 50 pounds current money

1779- July 30 D.B. 5, p 227
Thomas and Martha Dillard and Isaac and Anne(sic)Clement of Pittsylvania Countty sold 250 acres for 200 pounds to JamesCalloway of Bedford Co Tract on Sycamore Creek.

1780 April Court C.O. 4. p 302 Isaac Clement was appointed Executor of the Estate of Benjamin Clement, appraisal ordered

1780 April Court C.O. 4, p 305
Inventory of the estate of James Clement, decd. Isaac Clement appointed guardian of the orphans of James Clement--namelyRachael Clement, Isham Clement, Webster Clement, Benjamin Clement, JamesClement, Marha Clement and Mary Clement.

1788 Nov 20 Isaac Clement appointed administrator of the estate of Susanna Clement C.O. 6, p 195

1792 June 18 C.O.7, p 117 Isaac Clement appointed Overseer of the poor

1798 June 18 D.B. 11, p 317 Isaac Clement madea deed of gift to his sons: Stephen, Isaac & Hugh Clement (No mentionof a son Daniel. ( Daniel was 8 to 13, a guess of researcher)

1812 Philip Grasty against John Bruce & Daniel Clement Deft in debt

1813 Dec 23 D.B. 18, p 372-373 Daniel Clement certificate for importation of slaves, 1814 Jan 13 Sworn to slaves: Violet, a Negro woman age 42, Silvey a negro woman age 19 years, Amy age12 years, Joshua 3 years old. (These slaves were named in Isaac'swill-some trading had been done between Daniel and Stephen.)

1819 Feb 15 D.B. 22, p 179 Daniel and wife Wilmouth Clement sold a tract of 170 acres on Sycamore Cr to Shadrach Mustain for425.

Notes on Daniel Clement

Daniel Clement, son of Isaac and Ann (Denham)Clement married Wilmouth Irby of Halifax County, Va in Pittsylvania Co,Va 14 May 1807. Ch: Nathan Glen Clement b. 22 April 1808, Elizabethb. 1810, Issac b. 1812, Aaron b. 1814 and Stephen b. 1816.

17 Dec 1810: Daniel and Wilmouth Clementsold land on west side of Flyblow Creek to Jeremiah McCulloch. Itbeing the land on which the said Clement now lives which was drawn by hiswife Wilmouth as her lot in her father's estate. Adjoining landsbelonging to Wm Smith, Wm Turnstall, John Pannill's orphans, Jere McCullochand Frances Irby. D.B. 17, pp 197-198

17 Dec 1810 Wilmouth Clement cannot convenientyl travel to sign conveyance to Jeremiah McCulloch, Joshura Stone, Sr, Nelson Tucker, and Wm Smith were appointed to go to her for certification thatWilmouth did freely and voluntarily without any threats or persuasionsof her said husband relinquishes her right of Dower and is willing thatthe same should be recorded. 16 April 1811 her certificate of theexecution was returned and recorded. D.B 17, pp 264-265 (Elizabethb. 1810)

17 Dec 1810: RebeccaMarlow released to DanielClement a tract or parcel of land on both sides of Sycamore Creek , beingpart of the tract she purchased of Thomas Dalton and adjoining the landsof Thomas Dalton, Issac Coles, George Kemp(sic),--Camp, Rebecca Marlow,and James Calloway, decd. D.B. 17 p 200-201 Daniel Clementpaid taxes on 170 acres on Sycamore Creek, 1811 through 1816 ( book isworn & almost illegible so perhaps last date was 1818.)

1812:
Compiler has War of 1812 records for DanielClement but has been able to prove they are of this person. Thereare five records, VA Militia, from Mar 1813 through June 1814. Placveof enlistment is not shown.

23 Dec 1813 Daniel Clement imports slaves. Names ofslaves are those in his father's will for Daniel and brother Stephen. They exchanged one or two. D.B 18, p 372 15 Jan 1814

Jan 1817 Daniel Clement inherits from father Isaac Clement, Pendleton Dist;, S.C (later Anderson County) Will signed30 Oct 1905, Proved and Recorded Jan 27, 1817 and Codicil dated May 18,1812. W.B. A pp 206-207. (Slaves had already been givento Daniel)

Daniel received, in additon to 4 or 5 slaves,"all that part of the land I live on to the west of the main road withorchards, houses fenced &: C to him and the heirs of his body lawfullybegotten and to remain with them for ever. Half of the griss(sic)mill and 150 yards square for the saw mill which will be laid off afterthis to remain with them for ever. Said saw mill and the Land alottedis not to be sold out of my family my will and desire is that the landand mills be kept in my family.

27 Feb 1817 Daniel sold all of his inheritance to Stephen Butterworth, his brother-in-law, for $25.00 in hand. D.B. O. pp270 and 271 State of South Carolina, Pendleton District. Howlong it stayed in the family is not known. The compiler has beenon this property, and it has not been in the family for many years.

4 Feb 1819 Daniel and Wilmoth (sic) Clelment ofPittsylvania Co, Va sell to Shadrack Mustain a tract or parcel of landlying on both sides of Sycamore Creek , containing by estimation 170 acres,for and in consideration of the sum of four hundred and twenty-five dollars. Land bounded on East by Edward Franklin's line, on North by George Camp'sline, on the West by Isaac Coles (decd) line, and on the South by ThomasDalton's line. D.B. 22, p 179 Magistrates were Charles Clementsand Joel T Adams.

Feb 1819-- July 1822 Where was this family?
A Twelfth Surveyor;s District list includingHenry Co, Tn and what are now Carroll, Weakley and Benton Counties showsDaniel Clement received 2 deeds with total acrage of 2,834, in the early1800's. Land owners were not allowed to move into the area untilafter the Jackson Purchase in 1818, and by that time some of the deedshad been sold to other settlers. The deeds were under control ofthe University of N.C. and Cumberland College ( Article from Paris Post-Intelligencer,Paris, Tn July 24, 1981 by Charles D Robbins and Shelly Scott).

Was Daniel Clement in Ashville or Raleigh N.C.while waiting to enter Henry County which was not formed until 1821?

6 July 1822 "Records of Bonds and Wills 1822-1827", County Clerk's Office, Paris, Tennessee. Thomas Gray, Jesse C Gainer and Daniel Clement of Henry County were bound unto William Carroll, Esquire, Governor, in the sum of $1677.75 when Thomas Gray was appointed Collector of public raxes. Each signed, and a seal was affixed for each.

1830 Henry Co, Tn Census: Daniel Clement has a wife, the 5 children who were born in Va and a young son and daughter. In the 1850 census we found the latter two were Abraham b. Tn 1826, andRachel b Tn 1828. An uncle recalled that "grandpa Nathan had a half-brother and a half-sister."

Retrospect: What happened to Wilmoth (Irby) Clement between Feb 1819 and 1825? Did she refuse to move from Vaor did she die?

Who was the mother of Abraham and Rachel Clement, b Tn 1826 and 1828 respectibely?

1840: Daniel not found in Tn-had he movedinto another State? When and where did Daniel Clement die? Did he leave a will? His brother Stephen stayed in PittsaylvaniaCo, Va. Perhaps an old record there will enlighten us.

Irby

Were Wilmoth (Irby) Clement and Frances Irby ofPittsylvania, Co children of Francis Irby whose Inventory was dated 1795? Wife was Jane Leprand.

In 1800 Nathan Glenn of Halifax Co, Va was guardian for orphans of Francis Irby, deceased. Wilmoth Irby who married Daniel Clement in 1807 was one of those orphans. Who left her land in Pittsylvania Co, Va? How was she related to Rebecca (Irby) Marlow?

Bloody Battle Saw Two Killed
Comanche Moon Strikes Fear

January 1870
Within four years during the terrible decade of the 1860's, two militia officers named Carter were killed by Indians in the country drained by the Lampasas River and Cowhouse Creek.
Both men were frontier leaders, both had families and the loss of each was deeply felt by a people who feared the full Comanche moons next to the wrath of God.

On October 11, 1861, Lieutenant Robert Carter with nine men of Captain Frank Cotton's company of Hamilton County Minute Men, set out on a ten day scout on the headwaters of the Lampasas River.

Those under Carter's command were Grundy Morris, A.W. Witcher, James Mitchell, Joe Manning, Simpson Lloyd, John Witcher, John Hurst, Dave Morris and one other man.

On October 19, without having seen any Indians, they were at the headspring of the Lampasas River, within a day's ride of their homes. Lieutenant Carter sent J.W. Witcher out to shoot a deer for their final camp, which was to be several miles farther on toward Hamilton.

When they reached that place, and Witcher did not make an appearance, Grundy Morris was sent to Lookout Mountain, near present Caradan in Mills County, to search for Witcher, and perhaps assist him in killing a deer.

Just as Morris reached the crest of Lookout Mountain, Witcher, in the valley below, was attacked by Indians.

Witcher and the Indians were about two miles away, but in plain view of Morris, who watched the chase until Witcher abandoned his horse and ran into a thicket.

Morris, knowing that he could nothing to assist Witcher, turned his horse and raced back to the command, hoping that Witcher could hold the Indians at bay until he could lead the detachment back to his aid

Morris had not been gone long when the Indians took Witcher's horse and left him doubtless having observed that he was well armed and could surely kill the first Indian who entered the thicket.

After nightfall, Witcher left the thicket and soon became lost.

When Morris reached the camp Carter immediately ordered a march to Witcher's relief.

Traveling on their back trail, they reached the spring from which Witcher had left them just as night descended. At a steep ravine just above the spring, their horses suddenly alerted them to the presence of something in their rear by snorting and tossing their heads.
They then discovered that the Indians, who had apparently meant to camp at the spring, had fallen in behind them.
Carter did not hesitate a second before giving the order to attack, and the Indians, of about equal numbers, met them halfway. It was now full dark, and difficult to distinguish friend from foe, but at last, by shouts and whistles on the part of the white men, and birdcalls on the part of the Indians, the two parties regrouped on opposite sides of the ravine.

Carter quickly ordered a second charge, and the fighting became hand to hand. John Hurst and Grundy Morris were seriously wounded when the whites next withdrew to their side of the ravine, and Lieutenant Carter could not be found

A third attack was made, which caused the Indians to retreat. The white men could tell that several Indians, and several of the Indians' horses, were wounded. If any were killed, their comrades carried them away, as was their custom.

When the minutemen reached their camp, Carter was not there, as they had hoped he would be.

So highly was the lieutenant regarded that A.W. Witcher, a brother Of the man first attacked by the Indians, and J.R. Townsend crept hack in the night to the battleground and searched the area on hands and knees for his body, but failed to find him.

On the following day, Sunday, the battered party made its way home, as the wound of John Hurst, who had an arrow lodged in his spine, demanded attention,

On Monday, a search party recovered the body of Robert Carter. He was shot in a dozen places.

The settlers carried his remains to Langford's Cove (present day Evant) and buried him there in the Langford Cemetery.

Four years later, in 1866, C. C. Carter, member of a minute man company in the northwest part of Lampasas County, started one night from his house to that of his son in law, about four miles away. When he had reached a point within a mile of his destination, Indians fired on him from ambush. Though mortally wounded, he put spurs to his horse and outran the Indians, who attempted to cut him to his son in law's front gate, where he fell from his horse.

His daughter ran to him even as the Indians turned back, and he died in her arms.

He is buried in Center Cemetery east Of Lometa

Witcher Families
The Witcher Family Cemetery, Established 1848 (?) In Commemoration of 150 Years 1833-1983 at the Old Home Place, Sallie Donnell Younger, 1983.
Five Sisters. The Langhornes of Virginia, James Fox, Simon and Schuster, 2000.

Ancient History of the Distiguished Surname "Witcher"

The Border region of England and Scotland produced some of the most illustrious family names the world has ever known; names such as Armstrong, Nixon, Graham, Bell, Carson, Irving, Rutherford and so on and includedin this group is the surname "Witcher."

Professional analysts have researched the history of lowland Scotland and northern England, including many private collections of genealogical records, the Inquistitio, the Exchequer Rolls of schotland, the Ragman Rolls, the Hearth Rolls, the Domesday Book, parish cartularies, baptismals, and tax rolls, and revealed that the first record of the name "itcher" was found in Stirlingshire where they had been seated from very ancient times.

More About JOHN WITCHER and NANCY ADKINS:
Marriage: 1768, Pityslvania Co., VA

Children of JOHN WITCHER and NANCY ADKINS are:
2. i. RHODA4 WITCHER, b. 1771, Pittyslvania County, Virginia; d. Aft. October 08, 1850, Grainger County, Tennessee.
ii. ANN WITCHER, b. 1773, Pittslvania Co., VA; m. JOHN LINDSEY, September 13, 1787, Pittslvania Co., VA.

More About JOHN LINDSEY and ANN WITCHER:
Marriage: September 13, 1787, Pittslvania Co., VA

3. iii. WILLIAM WITCHER, b. 1775, Pittslvania Co., VA.
4. iv. AMY WITCHER, b. 1776, Pittsylvania Co., VA.
5. v. SARAH WITCHER, b. 1778, Pittsylvania Co., VA.
vi. BRICE WITCHER, b. 1780, Pittsylvania Co., VA; m. ELIZABETH PERRY, 1812.

More About BRICE WITCHER and ELIZABETH PERRY:
Marriage: 1812

vii. MARY WITCHER, b. 1782, Pittsylvania Co., VA; m. JOHN WILLIAM DYER, 1812.

More About JOHN DYER and MARY WITCHER:
Marriage: 1812

Generation No. 2

2. RHODA4 WITCHER (JOHN3, JOHN2, HENRY1) was born 1771 in Pittyslvania County, Virginia, and died Aft. October 08, 1850 in Grainger County, Tennessee. She married JAMES H. MALLICOAT January 02, 1792 in Pittsylvannia County, Tennessee, son of JOHN MALLICOAT and ELLENDER _______. He was born 1772 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, and died 1840 in Hamilton County, Tennessee.

Notes for RHODA WITCHER:
10-08-1850 Federal census has Rhoda born 1780 living with son, Hamilton.

More About RHODA WITCHER:
Census: October 08, 1850, Federal Census, living with son Hamilton, see Hamilton's census list.

Notes for JAMES H. MALLICOAT:
Marriage Cert has James Melicott spelling.
Individual: Melicoat, James
County/State: Grainger Co., TN
Year: 1799
Census type code: Tax List

Individual: Mailicoat, James
County/State: Grainger Co., TN
Year: 1805
Census type code: Tax List

More About JAMES H. MALLICOAT:
1: January 27, 1843, James sold his land in Grainger Co., TN and Gary Mallicoat of Ashland, OR says he died in Hamilton Col., TN. This hadn't been proven.
Fact 1: from Will, bible records, census

More About JAMES MALLICOAT and RHODA WITCHER:
Marriage: January 02, 1792, Pittsylvannia County, Tennessee

Children of RHODA WITCHER and JAMES MALLICOAT are:
i. LARKIN5 MALLICOAT, b. 1795, TN; d. Bef. 1880, Campbell Co., TN; m. MARY POLLY _________, Abt. 1820, Grainger Co., Tn; b. 1805, NC.

Notes for LARKIN MALLICOAT:
Individual: Malicoat, Larkin
County/State: Campbell Co., TN
Location: 17th Sub Division
Page #: 02
Year: 1850

Individual: Malicoat, Larkin
County/State: Campbell Co., TN
Location: 17th Sub Division
Page #: 02
Year: 1850

2nd Civil District
June 6, 1860
Jacksboro, Tennessee
W. H. Malone (enumerator)
Page 20 - Stamped No. 437
NAME AGE S R PROF REO PEO PB MY SC RW DD
__________________________________________________________________________ __________

126-126
MALICOATE, Larken 66 M Farm Hand 350 150 TN
MALICOATE, Polly 55 F NC 13
MALICOATE, Louisa 15 F TN Pauper
MALICOATE, Corten 21 M Farm Hand TN
MALICOATE, Richard 15 M TN 12

127-127
MALICOATE, Lavice 30 M Washer Woman 20 TN

128-128
MALICOATE, Rebeca 33 F Washer Woman TN 13
MALICOATE, Elisabeth 18 F TN 13
MALICOATE, Mary 14 F TN
MALICOATE, George 7 M TN
MALICOATE, Hiram 4 M TN
MALICOATE, Calvin 3 M TN

1850 Campbell Co. Census: 17th Subdivision Campbell County, Tennessee
By: John Phillips on the 24th day of September 1850

HH
355 355 Malicoat, Larkin 55 m Farmer TN X
355 355 Malicoat, Mary 45 f NC X
355 355 Malicoat, John 17 m Farmer TN X
355 355 Malicoat, Fanteroy 12 m TN X
355 355 Malicoat, Calvin 10 m TN X
355 355 Malicoat, Betheely 9 f TN
355 355 Malicoat, Louisa 6 f TN

356 356 Malicoat, Rebecca 31 f TN X
356 356 Malicoat, Elizabeth 10 f TN
356 356 Malicoat, Richard 8 m TN
356 356 Malicoat, Mary 4 f TN

More About LARKIN MALLICOAT:
Census: June 06, 1860, Jacksboro, Campbell Co., TN

More About LARKIN MALLICOAT and MARY _________:
Marriage: Abt. 1820, Grainger Co., Tn

ii. JOHN MALLICOAT, b. July 29, 1796, TN; d. November 09, 1846, Washington Co., IN; m. ELIZABETH LONG, December 06, 1816, Washington Co., IN; b. September 03, 1790; d. January 09, 1872, IA.

More About JOHN MALLICOAT:
1: August 03, 1796, Is siad to be his birth date.
Burial: Monroe Cemetery

More About ELIZABETH LONG:
1: November 09, 1846, Is siad to be her death date.
Burial: Blue Grass, IA

More About JOHN MALLICOAT and ELIZABETH LONG:
Marriage: December 06, 1816, Washington Co., IN

iii. JAMES MALLICOAT,JR, b. 1800, Pittyslvania Co, VA; d. March 1847, Grainger Co., TN; m. ELIZABETH GRAY, April 21, 1823, Grainger County, Tennessee; b. Abt. 1801, Grainger Co., TN.

More About JAMES MALLICOAT,JR:
1: July 04, 1846, Will names his children

More About JAMES MALLICOAT and ELIZABETH GRAY:
Marriage: April 21, 1823, Grainger County, Tennessee

iv. ELIZA MALLICOAT, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810; d. Bet. 1846 - 1847; m. WILLIAM CLARK, May 19, 1836, Grainger Co., TN.

More About WILLIAM CLARK and ELIZA MALLICOAT:
Marriage: May 19, 1836, Grainger Co., TN

v. SABRA MALLICOAT, b. 1804, TN; d. July 06, 1865, Ellettsville, IN; m. JOHN ACUFF III, September 05, 1821, Grainger Co., TN; b. December 10, 1797, Henry Co., VA; d. August 11, 1861, Ellettsville, IN.

More About SABRA MALLICOAT:
Burial: Presbyterian Cemetery

Notes for JOHN ACUFF III:
John was 63 yrs, 8 mos & 5 days at the time of his death, Sabrina was 61
yrs., 6 mos &15 days at time of her death. Their children were the twins,
Chesley and Barton, Wesley, Like, Dorthula (Jackson), Rhoda ( Ed Mordson)
and Alley
( Gillaspy). They were married in Grainger Co., TN. An older brother,
Thomas Acuff is recorded as "bondsman". The late singer, Roy Acuff
descended from Thomas. A younger brother, Davis Acuff married Jincy
Mallicoat in Grainger Co., TN 11-08-1820 with John Acuff as bondsman.

John, Sabrina, David and Jincy (Faney) on TN records) was the d/o Dedmond
& Livina Mallicoat. Jame L. Williams of Mount Eden, CA. is a descendant
of David & Juicy Acuff. Dedmond was the son of John and Ellender
Mallicoat.

Individual: Acuff, John D.
County/State: Grainger Co., TN
Location: 12th District
Page #: 02
Year: 1850

More About JOHN ACUFF III:
Burial: Presbyterian Cemetery
Census: 1850, Washington Co., IN

More About JOHN ACUFF and SABRA MALLICOAT:
Marriage: September 05, 1821, Grainger Co., TN

vi. CLEMENT C. MALLICOAT, b. 1807, Tennessee; d. Missouri; m. (1) ELIZABETH CARDWELL, July 19, 1836, Grainger County, Tennessee; b. December 21, 1816, Tennessee; d. May 12, 1837, Grainger County, Tennessee; m. (2) HARRETT JET, June 19, 1838, Grainger County, Tennessee; b. Virginia; d. Bef. 1873, Dade County, missouri; m. (3) JANE GRAY, September 06, 1872, Grainger Co., TN.

More About CLEMENT C. MALLICOAT:
1: July 23, 1836, has marriage to Eliza Cardwell
2: History of Dade County and It's People page 86 has Clement C. Malicoat mentioned.
3: June 14, 1838, Date taken out and date returned June 19, 1838
Census: 1860, Dade Co., MO twp # 585

More About ELIZABETH CARDWELL:
1: July 23, 1836, Is the date found and name as Eliza Cardwell
Burial: Shiloh Cemetery, Grainger County, Tennessee

More About CLEMENT MALLICOAT and ELIZABETH CARDWELL:
Marriage: July 19, 1836, Grainger County, Tennessee

More About HARRETT JET:
Burial: Mallicoate Cemetery, Greenfield, MO

More About CLEMENT MALLICOAT and HARRETT JET:
Marriage: June 19, 1838, Grainger County, Tennessee

More About CLEMENT MALLICOAT and JANE GRAY:
Marriage: September 06, 1872, Grainger Co., TN

vii. WILLIAM MALLICOAT, b. 1808, TN; d. April 21, 1862, Washington Co, IN; m. RACHEL STALKER, November 20, 1832, Washington Co., IN; b. 1813, NC; d. September 27, 1872, Washinton Co., IN.

Notes for WILLIAM MALLICOAT:
May, 1862 - William Mallicoat made his will April 9, 1862 and it was probated May 30, 1862. He mentioned his wife, Rachel Stalker and two daughters, Mary Caroline and Rhoda Mallicoat (married a Kemp). His other request was to Doctor Kemp for 3 years to pay one-half of expenses, taxes, etc.
Executor: nephew James Mallicoat
Witnesses: Isaiah Reid, John Collins, John Barnett

transcribed by Jean Brand May 2, 2001 from Abstract of Wills of Washington Co., IN 1808-1902

"Tombstones for William Mallicoat and his wife, Rachel Stalker Mallicoat, located in the Monroe Cemetery, near Kossuth, Washington County, Indiana. William's brother, John is buried next to him. John's stone has been broken off and is laying against a nearby stone. The cemetery is well cared for." per Wilma Mallicoat.

More About WILLIAM MALLICOAT:
1: History of Washington Co., IN
Burial: Monroe Cemetery
Census: 1850, Washington Co., IN
Guardian: January 18, 1848, Washington Co., IN: Wm Mallicoat with Isaiah Reid as his security, is appointed guardian of the persons and estate of James & Nancy Mallicoat minor heirs of John Mallicoat. John was the son of James H. & Rhoda Witcher Mallicoat.
Will: April 19, 1862, Was probated 5-30-1862.

More About RACHEL STALKER:
Burial: Monroe Cemetery

More About WILLIAM MALLICOAT and RACHEL STALKER:
Marriage: November 20, 1832, Washington Co., IN

viii. RHODA MALLICOAT, b. Bet. 1810 - 1815; m. ABRAHAM HEMBREE, January 02, 1836, Roane County, Tennessee.

More About ABRAHAM HEMBREE and RHODA MALLICOAT:
Marriage: January 02, 1836, Roane County, Tennessee

ix. HAMILTON S. MALLICOAT, b. 1812, Tennessee; d. 1859, Grainger County, Tennessee; m. SUSAN ROACH, April 18, 1843, Grainger County, Tennessee; b. March 14, 1823, Grainger County, Tennessee; d. June 04, 1885, Missouri.

Notes for HAMILTON S. MALLICOAT:
Rhoda (Roda) listed living with son in 10-8-1850 page 73B, family # 1082 as Hamilton's mother.

More About HAMILTON S. MALLICOAT:
1: April 17, 1843, Date taken out and April 18, 1843 is date returned.
Census: October 08, 1850, Federal Census for Grainger Co., TN page 73B, Family # 1082.

More About SUSAN ROACH:
Burial: Logan-Duff Cemetery, Greene Co., MO
Fact 1: April 18, 1843, marriage has Susanna Roach

More About HAMILTON MALLICOAT and SUSAN ROACH:
Marriage: April 18, 1843, Grainger County, Tennessee

x. STERLING MALLICOAT, b. 1813, Tennessee; m. (1) ELIZABETH ANN " ELIZA" ROACH, February 12, 1833, Grainger County, Tennessee; b. Bet. 1813 - 1815, Grainger County, Tennessee; d. Bef. 1850, Grainger County, Tennessee; m. (2) LUCINDA WEBB, September 19, 1846, Grainger County, Tennessee; m. (3) SARAH PASCHAL, June 22, 1856, Grainger County, Tennessee.

Notes for STERLING MALLICOAT:
Petition
Hamilton Roach & Others
vs
Green Roach & Others
Filed 8th Oct 1867
M. Goldman, Clk

1
To the Worshipful J.D. Curl, Chairman of the Couny Court of Grainger
County and the associate Justices Sitting and holding the County Courts for
Said County at Rutledge-
The petition of a number of the legal heirs and Representatives of the
late Green Roach decd and all of whom Reside in Grainger County Tennessee-
to wit: John Roach, Hamilton Roach, Absolam Roach, Alfeus Owens & his wife
Margaret formerly Roach, C C Nance and his wife Susan formerly Roach,
Nathaniel McElhaney and his wife Mary formerly Roach-all of whom are the
Sons and Daughters of the Said Green Roach, and the husbands of his Said
Daughters-
Filed against his widow Margaret Roach and James H. Peck administrator of
the estate of the Said Green Roach, deceased, and against Green Roach Son
of Said decedent who has been declared a Lunatic, and against John H
Hammers his Guardian, who Reside in Grainger County Tennessee-And against
Green Arnett who married Nella formerly Roach and whose said wife some time
Since departed this life and whose Said husband is also dead-And against
the children of Said Nella to wit: Adam Tutor and his wife Susan, ie,
formerly Arnett and whose whareabouts is unknown to petitioners-and
(sic) Coffee and his wife Mary Ann formerly Arnett-
2
and Margaret Arnett, and Jacob Arnett, and Lerisa Arnett, and Tabbitha
Arnett, the last named four being minors and who together with the Said
Coffee & wife and the Said Margaret and Jacob Arnett Reside in the State of
Missouri,-
And against Sterling Mallicoat whose whareabouts is unknown and against the
children of his wife Eliza Ann deceased formerly Roach, to wit:Jessie C
Mallicoat whose whareabouts is unknown, and Rachael Mallicoat resides in
Grainger County and Sarah J Mallicoat her whareabouts are unknown and the
Said Sarah J has no General Guardian,(and also Roda Mallicoat who is a
minor and of unsound mind and has no General Guardian and who resides in
Grainger County, Eliza Ann who Resides in Jefferson County and against the
children of Sarah Roach, Nelson Roach and Nancy J Roach, and against
William Mayse also a Son of Said Sarah after her marriage with Edward
Mayse-the Said Sarah and her husband Mayse are both decd-and Said children
Reside in Grainger County and are minors & have perhaps a General Guardian,
has been assigned to him maybe & the other two have none
3
And against James Roach, and David Ray and Wife Anna formerly Roach, who
reside in Missouri-
Petitioners here Show all the names of the Children of Green Roach
deceased and who either Represent themselves or are themselves Represented
by Grand children of Said Green Roach to wit: Mary, Susan, Hamilton,
Absolam, Green, Margaret, John, Nella, Elizabeth, James, Anna and Sarah-
Petitioners show that Green Roach died Sometime Since in Grainger County
at his domicil in the 5th district, leaving a widow Margaret Roach
Surviving him and the above named children or there children Representing
the parent and who are the legal heirs of Said decedent, and whose names
and Residence are Set out in the Caption as full as they are known to your
petitioners-together with husbands and Representatives-
Said decedent died the Rightful owner of considerable personal property,
and James H Peck has been by your Court duly appointed administrator of his
estate, which is ample and fully Sufficient to pay all unpaid indebtness
against
4
the estate of Said decedent & any costs that may accrue in this case
Decedent also died the Rightful owner of about 302 acres of land, Situate
in Grainger County 5th district adjoining the land of Robt Loyal James
James John A Hamers and others And it is further Shown that out of Said
land his Said Widow has been assigned dower by your Court And it is further
Shown-that after the Assignment of dower which Consists of about 100
acres-there is a remainder of about 202 acres that is owned and held by
your petitioners and the defendants named in the Caption as tenants in Common-
And it is Shown to the Court, that Said 202 acres Can be divided into 12
lots or Shares of equal Value, it is true the lots will be Small but your
petitioners show that a number of the legatees are feared Covert, and
desire that there Shares be assigned in the land of which they are the
Rightful owners-and So do all your petitioners believe land the best
property and avow the fact that they wish to Remain in Tennessee about
whare Raised
5
The pr__isses considered the prayer of petitioners is that the parties
named in the Caption as defendants be made Such by due process and
_________ as to the resident ones and that due notice be given the
nonresident and unknown defendants by publication in a news paper to
afford ample time for notice to all the defendants that this cause be set
for hearing at the next Dec term of this Court-
And it is further prayed that on the hearing that competent commissioners
be appointed to lay off and assign to each Son and daughter of the Said
deceased or to the children of the deceased ones who represent the parents
there share of the Said lands So held by them as tenants in Common and that
the Same be set out in Severalty and that they have full power to make them
all equal in Value by the more valuable lots paying the difference to the
lesser and that a lien be declared upon the lots that pay to others until
the equality money be fully paid-
And it is further prayed that a Guardian ad litum be assigned to Represent
the minor defendants
6
And if deemed necessary by your worships in the mean time that a jury of
inquisition of Lunacy be had as to Roda Mallicoat and that a Regular
Guardian be assinged her-And it is further prayed that on final hearing
among others that if the adm has funds or assetts sufficient in his hands
belonging to the Said heirs entitled to these Shares of land that he pay
the Costs and expences of this partition and that he have a Credit pro rata
for the amount paid for each heir on his settlement as administrator-
And if in anything petitioners are ___ to ______ there interest and Rights
they pray for Such other Relief as they may be entitled to agreeable to the
laws of the land-
A recapitulation-The lands ask to be partitioned and assigned in Severalty
are those not included in the widows dower-They do not now seek to disturb
the dower in any way-but those now ocuupied by the heirs as tenants in common-
Explanation the object desire is to have the land allotted in twelve equal
Shares some to children in there own Right and the others to grand children
representing the parent as tenants in common
7
Recapitulation of the Representing Shares to wit: The children of Elizabeth
deceased who married Sterling Mallicoat-The children of Nella Roach decd
who married Green Arnett-The children of Sarah Roach decd who married
Edward Mayse deceased-Anna Roach who married David Ray-and James
Roach-Green Roach, John Roach, Mary Roach who married Nathaniel
McElhaney-Susan Roach who married C.C. Nance Margaret who married Alfeus
Owens, Absolam Roach and Hamilton Roach

P M Senter Atty for Petitioners

State of Tennessee) Personally Came
Grainger County ) before me Hamilton Roach
and made oath in due form of law that the facts Stated in the foregoing
Petition of his own knowledge are true and those stated on information he
believes to be true
) his
Sworn to and Subscribed)Hamilton X Roach
before me Oct 8th, 1867) mark

M Goldman Clerk

More About STERLING MALLICOAT:
Burial: McDaniel Cemetery, Grainger County, Tennessee
Census: 1840, Grainger Co., TN
Military service: 1847, Mexican War.

More About ELIZABETH ANN " ELIZA" ROACH:
1: no headstone
2: Age 32 at her death.
Burial: McDaniel Cemetery, near Shiloh Church

More About STERLING MALLICOAT and ELIZABETH ROACH:
Marriage: February 12, 1833, Grainger County, Tennessee

More About STERLING MALLICOAT and LUCINDA WEBB:
Marriage: September 19, 1846, Grainger County, Tennessee

More About STERLING MALLICOAT and SARAH PASCHAL:
Marriage: June 22, 1856, Grainger County, Tennessee

xi. DELPHIA MALLICOAT, b. 1820, Grainger Co., TN; d. January 20, 1857, Russellville, Hamblen Co., TN; m. CHARLES WESLEY MILLER, March 30, 1839, Grainger Co., TN; b. February 16, 1813, Morristown, Jefferson Co., TN; d. March 23, 1873, Russellville, Hamblen Co., TN.

More About CHARLES WESLEY MILLER:
Fact 1: ALL CHILDREN BORN IN Russellville, TN.

More About CHARLES MILLER and DELPHIA MALLICOAT:
Marriage: March 30, 1839, Grainger Co., TN

3. WILLIAM4 WITCHER (JOHN3, JOHN2, HENRY1) was born 1775 in Pittslvania Co., VA. He married MATTIE HAMPTON December 03, 1799 in Pittslvania Co., VA.

More About WILLIAM WITCHER and MATTIE HAMPTON:
Marriage: December 03, 1799, Pittslvania Co., VA

Child of WILLIAM WITCHER and MATTIE HAMPTON is:
i. MARTHA5 WITCHER, b. March 03, 1807, Pittslvania Co., VA; d. August 06, 1881, Airlie, Polk Co., OR.; m. EDWARD WILLIAMS, October 12, 1825.

More About EDWARD WILLIAMS and MARTHA WITCHER:
Marriage: October 12, 1825

4. AMY4 WITCHER (JOHN3, JOHN2, HENRY1) was born 1776 in Pittsylvania Co., VA. She married JOSEPH STULTZ November 11, 1805 in Grainger Co., TN, son of ADAM STULTZ and MARY GRAVELY. He was born November 12, 1773 in Pittsylvania Co., VA, and died Aft. 1860.

More About AMY WITCHER:
1: August 14, 2000, This lineage came from Jen Hollan
More About JOSEPH STULTZ and AMY WITCHER:
Marriage: November 11, 1805, Grainger Co., TN

Children of AMY WITCHER and JOSEPH STULTZ are:
i. PARMELIA ELEANOR "AMELIA"5 STULTZ, b. October 02, 1808, Dyer's Store, Henry Co., VA; d. November 02, 1891, Henry Co., VA; m. JOSEPH KING GRAVELY, June 10, 1824, Martinsville, VA; b. April 27, 1803, Dyer's Store, Henry Co., VA; d. August 07, 1883, Henry Co., VA.

More About JOSEPH GRAVELY and PARMELIA STULTZ:
Marriage: June 10, 1824, Martinsville, VA

ii. ANDERSON HAYWOOD STULTZ, b. March 16, 1809, Leatherwood, Henry Co., VA; d. March 26, 1898, Henry Co., VA; m. (1) MARY ANN "POLLY" LESTER, December 11, 1834, Henry Co., VA; b. Abt. 1813, Pittsylvania Co., VA; d. Bef. 1852, Henry Co., VA; m. (2) CASSANDRA JANE WINGFIELD, August 08, 1852, Henry Co., VA; b. 1830, Henry Co., VA.

More About ANDERSON STULTZ and MARY LESTER:
Marriage: December 11, 1834, Henry Co., VA

More About ANDERSON STULTZ and CASSANDRA WINGFIELD:
Marriage: August 08, 1852, Henry Co., VA

iii. PARTHENIA G. "THENIA" STULTZ, b. Abt. 1810, Henry Co., VA; m. ROBERT "JEFFERSON" LYLE, November 28, 1836, Henry Co., VA; b. Abt. 1810, Henry Co., VA; d. Bef. 1850, Henry Co., VA.

More About ROBERT LYLE and PARTHENIA STULTZ:
Marriage: November 28, 1836, Henry Co., VA

iv. SARINA STULTZ, b. Abt. 1814, Henry Co., VA; m. DANIEL PACE, October 14, 1833, Henry Co., VA; b. 1795, VA; d. March 05, 1880.

More About DANIEL PACE and SARINA STULTZ:
Marriage: October 14, 1833, Henry Co., VA

v. A. ZEPHANIAH STULTZ, b. April 22, 1815, Henry Co., VA; d. July 11, 1864, Staunton, VA; m. SARA VIRGINIA STOCKTON, October 1853, Henry Co., VA; b. Abt. 1836, Henry Co., VA; d. October 23, 1872, Christiansburg, Montgomery Co., VA.

More About A. STULTZ and SARA STOCKTON:
Marriage: October 1853, Henry Co., VA

vi. LOUSINDA D. STULTZ, b. 1816, Henry Co., VA; m. JOHN F. ATKINS, September 13, 1841, Henry Co., VA; b. Abt. 1817, VA.

More About JOHN ATKINS and LOUSINDA STULTZ:
Marriage: September 13, 1841, Henry Co., VA

vii. BRICE MARTIN STULTZ, b. May 18, 1818, Henry Co., VA; d. February 21, 1903, Ridgeway, Henry Co., VA; m. TAMSY ANN WELLS, December 19, 1850, Henry Co., VA; b. June 20, 1829, Henry Co., VA; d. December 15, 1912.

More About BRICE STULTZ and TAMSY WELLS:
Marriage: December 19, 1850, Henry Co., VA

5. SARAH4 WITCHER (JOHN3, JOHN2, HENRY1) was born 1778 in Pittsylvania Co., VA. She married JOHN LONG 1807 in Pittsylvania Co., VA.

Notes for SARAH WITCHER:
Sarah Witcher & John Long information came from Bulah Gunter Hodge, RT 1 Box 37, Savoy, TX 75479

More About JOHN LONG and SARAH WITCHER:
Marriage: 1807, Pittsylvania Co., VA

Children of SARAH WITCHER and JOHN LONG are:
i. JOHN5 LONG,JR, b. Bet. 1808 - 1820.

More About JOHN LONG,JR:
1: 1846, Moved over the Oregan Trail to Willamette Valley.

ii. REBECCA LONG, b. 1813, Grainger Co., TN; m. ALBAN MCNABB; b. Washington Co. TN.
iii. ELIZABETH LONG, b. 1813, TN; d. St. Francis Co., MO; m. CHARLES ACUFF, November 14, 1829, Grainger Co., TN; b. 1810, Grainger Co., TN; d. St. Francis Co., MO.

More About ELIZABETH LONG:
Burial: Knob Lick, MO

More About CHARLES ACUFF:
Burial: Knob Lick, MO

More About CHARLES ACUFF and ELIZABETH LONG:
Marriage: November 14, 1829, Grainger Co., TN

This thread: