VanHook-L Archives

Archiver > VanHook > 1998-08 > 0902339753

From: "Matthew Van Hook" <>
Subject: RE: [VanHook-L] Re: Vanhook, CSA
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:55:53 -0500

My great-great grandfather, Joel Newman Van Hook (1821-1902) fought in
Tennessee 45th Infantry Regiment, Company B. The regiment was organized at
Camp Trousdale, Tennessee in December, 1861 of men from Williamson, Wilson,
and Rutherford counties. This was earliest he could have joined. My
information comes from Fred Van Hook's book and "Tennesseans in the Civil
War, Vol. II." He fought at the Battle of Murfreesboro against the army of
his 7th cousin, Gen. William Rosecrans. The unit sustained 112 casualties
at Murfreesboro. He was discharged 2 Feb. 1863 before it was consolidated
with the 23rd Infantry Battalion.

Matthew Van Hook

This thread: