WEBB-L Archives

Archiver > WEBB > 2001-07 > 0996235784

From: suebod <>
Subject: [WEBB] Ellis
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:09:44 -0400

In case I was that Ellis researcher you spoke of, here are basics of my info:
1._____ ELLIS, resided in VA w/at least 3 sons: James, Robert & Richard.
c1793 the sons migrated to the Forkland area of KY. James listed as one of
first settlers of the area.
2. JAMES ELLIS-Forkland area, Casey Co, KY. RICHARD ELLIS settled at
Ellisburg, Casey Co, c1793. Other brother may have gone to Russell
Co. 1807 Casey Co. tax recs list James Ellis, over 21 yo, w/2horses. Isaac
Ellis, over 21 w/6 horses. Neither on the 1808 tax list but Isaac on the
1814 tax list, owning 106 acres of South Rolling Fork. 1830 & 1831 Mercer
Co tax recs list John Ellis & William Ellis but no connection
established. Our (#2) James purchased his 1st land of 2 tracts in Forkland
Community from Wm. Bailey 9 Sep 1837, one for 48 3/4 acres ($40)(bordered
Matt Coulter property), 2d of 80 1/4 acres ($200)(bordered Matt Coulter and
Thomas Shannon's property. James md. Emaline Bailey 2 Feb 1832 (Mercer Co.,
KY Book 2, p.16), md. by Laban Jones. Wiley Shearin bondsman.
Emaline was d/o Ralph & Deliah Smith Bailey. b.1810, Lincoln Co, KY. Ralph
Bailey s/o Thomas & Mary Bailey, lived near Moreland, Lincoln Co, KY. Ralph
Bailey d.early and on 13 Sep 1819, Wm.Bailey, Emaline's uncle, appt'd her
guardian & of her bro Alfred & sister, Delia. Their mo re-md. JOHN GRAVES
of east Texas area of Washington Co. Delia md. JACOB JOHNSON.
James (#2) d.13 yrs aft mg., leaving Emaline widowed w/4 children all under
age 11. Estate settlement sale 15 Aug 1845. Land purchased by Deliah Smith
Bailey Graves (Emaline's mother). (other info on this part available).
Four children of James & Emaline: Ralph Bailey Ellis, Charles G. Ellis,
Cynthia Ellen Ellis and Elizabeth Ellis.
RALPH BAILEY ELLIS, b.24 Sep 1824, McLean Co, KY; md.MARY MARGARET
PURDOM 21 Jan 1858. nine children. Family remained in Forkland area. Ralph
d.26 Jul 1913.
CHARLES G. ELLIS, b.4 Aug 1842, Boyle Co, KY, md. LUCY ANN MARRS
10 Mar 1859, joined Union troops of Civil War. First 2 children d. during
war; war-related illness, went home to Louisville, KY. Called "Bun." Six
more children born. Lucy d.childbirth. Children: Van Buren Ellis, Female
Ellis, Hattie A. Ellis, Jimmie Ellis, Carrie Ellis, Bobbie Ellis, Eddie
Ellis, Johnnie Ellis (additional info available) - [I have never followed
Charles' move to Indiana. The Ellis line comes into our line by his
marriage to Lucy Marrs.]
CYNTHIA ELLEN ELLIS, b.28 May 1840, Boyle Co, KY, md.W.H. PIPES,
SR. 5 Jan 1857. He died & she moved to Indiana and married a HUTCHINS. She
d. in Indiana. Believed brother Charles G. moved to Ind & lived w/her & fam
after death of his wife.
ELIZABETH M. ELLIS, b.?, Boyle Co, KY, md. WILLIAM SHEPERSON 13
Dec 1859. Had one dtr, EMALINE SHEPERSON and Elizabeth died shortly
thereafter. Wm. md. again to AMANDA WILSHER, d/o MARY DERION. Dtr EMALINE
SHEPERSON md. a MULLINS and they moved to Kansas, one son.

Mercer Co, KY Censuses
Boyle Co, KY Censuses
"The Jacob, Philipp and Adam Erion Family Letters," Museum of History,
Springfield, IL
Sheperson, Shirley. "1793-1988 Forkland Heritage - It's People, Past and
Present." Mercer Co, KY.
Family history: Arland Benningfield, Lucie Reed Erion Bodishbaugh, Don
Bodishbaugh, Sue Bodishbaugh

This thread: