YORKSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > YORKSGEN > 2001-10 > 1004192988

From: John B Price <>
Subject: Re: Mr. Stockdill
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:29:48 -0500

Dear List,

This note from Richard White almost says it all, omitting to mention the
sentiments expressed by Magdalena G. in Portugal, for one, were totally
overlooked in the headlong rush to criticise an apparent ignorance of the
geography of the British Isles. And the more recent poignant advice
offered by Caroline Gaden of Australia will doubtless be treated in the
same manner.

Even the latest comment shows that the message hasn't sunk in. - "I
suppose we should be thankful that Ancestry only confused Rotherham with
Rotherhithe and not Rotterdam!!!" The cause and the effect are still
being mistaken.

Historically, any effort to nudge Mr. Stockdill into the realisation that
his criticisms could be more positive in effect if they were expressed in
a less accusative and antagonistic manner, has been in vain. I see no
evidence of remorse for the upsets caused by such thoughtless remarks,
just a lack of understanding, acknowledgement or apology for them.

Personally I am very weary of these outbursts, even the understandable
reactions from normal rational List members. I can only suggest that we
treat future derogatory comments with the contempt that they deserve,
while heeding the Listowner's advice (a) not to engage in such fruitless
public dialogue, (much as we may be tempted to do so) and (b) refrain
from responding to antagonistic mail for 24 hours.

May I offer the List a little reminder that was drummed in to me by Eric
Rimer, Physics teacher at Gateshead Grammar School in my rebellious youth
.... "Think before you ink !". It's not always easy, but I think that the
List will be better off for it.

With kind regards,

John B. Price
Metairie, Louisiana